db2 native access

Forum related to DB2

Moderators: gto, cipto_kh, EgonHugeist

db2 native access

Post by Guest »

I'd like to have Zeos support for IBM DB2 database. I know Zeos can be used to access it, but it must be done through ODBC, while I prefer native access just like what Zeos has done to other databases (FB, mySQL, etc). I got db2cli.h file which contains DB2 API, but since I'm not a API expert, I don't know what to do. So, I expect somebody from Zeos core developer would like to see the file and start to support DB2. Thank you.
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

Hi Guest,

When you look at the packages provided by zeos you will see somebody has already started building a DB2 driver. He has done the first step : writing a wrapper around the db2cli.dll. TZDb2PlainDriver is the class that will do all communication with the dll.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, we do not have the dbc layer for DB2. This layer does implement the interfaces used by the component layer (this last one is database independent). This dbc part of the work still has to be done. And we don't know who wants to do that. If you really want to use Zeoslib with a native DB2 driver you will have to write this layer yourself. Unless you wanttouse the low level functionalities of the plain driver units, which is technically possible, but if you can do that, you can write the layer as well.

Asking a 'core Zeos developer' to do so is not so evident. First you will have to find one. We don't have a lot of developers. (The original founders are gone.) Secondly you need one with a db2 licence/installation.

Mark
andrea.lai
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by andrea.lai »

Hi Mark,
I don't know if there is a interest to develop the native access to DB2.
In the past DB2 is not a free database and I understand that was very difficult to use it for free.

With new versions (DB2-Express C) now this very powerfull database is free and can be used with very minimal restrictions.

You think that is possible to restart the work to implement the native access to DB2 ?

Let me know, Thanks
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

The only possibility to get native access to DB2 is finding a developer to implement the plain and dbc layers for this database.
Zeoslib drivers can be written for all databases, free or not free (eg. Oracle driver)
As soon as minimal ZQuery support is implemented in a way following the general zeoslib design the code can be added t the library, in my opinion.
But no, at the moment we don't have known DB2 users among the zeoslib developers.

Mark