two connections, two different fb srv, one app dir

Forum related to version 6.5.1 (alpha) and 6.6.x (beta) of ZeosLib's DBOs

Moderators: gto, cipto_kh, EgonHugeist

Terence
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

two connections, two different fb srv, one app dir

Post by Terence »

The std name for both libs is "fbclient.dll".
If using one as client db and another as server db in same application (two connections) howto access different libs (embedded and standalone server) if they both have to be named "fbclient.dll" ?
I would propose to make zeos search for different names, eg "fbclient_embedxx.dll" and "fblientxx.dll" (server is default) and have an own protocol name for embedded.

What do you mean?
fabian
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

Hi Terence,

You're right. Look at what we did for mysql lately (testing branch). It works, so you can do the same for firebird. In fact, we implemented the embedded driver as a subclass of the client driver to inherit all functionallity and load it from a different location. I don't know whether fb client and embedded libraries are equally similar as is the case for mysql?

Also here, I'm waiting for your patch.

Mark
Terence
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

Post by Terence »

The lunix side embedde handling look strange..

// Use libfbclient.so under linux
// and not libfbembed.so when Firebird 1.5.2 is used under linux
{$DEFINE USELIBFBCLIENTSO}

Why is that?
Elsei i also will create "LibraryLoaderEmbedded" as in mysql5.
fabian
Terence
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

Post by Terence »

Here is the patch! I updated fb 2.0 and fb1.5 drivers.
Now the driver want verisoned dll names, like in myssql.
The drivers still kep in unit named "interbase6", shall we seperrate them?

If you really want the patch for fb1 also.. give me a sign -
however i thought none will need it, so i saved my time to dig into that table refresh thing.

Compiles and runs! I am not into tesing now, maybe someone can explain the prcoedure if necesarry.

I noticed stgh strange...
I can use "fbclientd20.dll" and "host=localhost" to connect the standalone firebird database server. This would mean that the embedded dll "fbclientd20.dll" (2MB) embedds all the functionality of the server solution "fbclient20.dll" (~350k). In this case deploying the embedded driver dll will also cover the server needs. Pretty, isn't it?
The switch seems to be "host=''" to use embedded server. If so, the fbguard app does not show any connection, but if set to locahost, num of connections is 1. And all in absence of the "fbclient20.dll". That will save my releases 300 kb . yehaa .. lol.

I think the patch didn't take the firebird binary (dll, libs), therefore the zip.
http://cforce.dnsalias.org/files/firebird.zip

Have fun!
P.s would be great if can commit as usual next time ;)
fabian
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

Hi Terence,

I applied your patch to testing branch. As far as the Zeos coding concerns, I mean. The other parts of the lib-directory are unclear to me. Apparently there's only files in the'SVN' directories? Can you just make a zip with the lib/firebird content? (Dll's and eventually example config files if they are usefull, but think about copyrights)

Mark

BTW, this seemed to be a good patch (based on the example ofanother database) So I hope we can work on SVN commit rights soon.
(Firmos, If you read this... )
Terence
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

Post by Terence »

The binary files (dlls, and things) are for easy using zeos - no need to download two firebird distris and rename files , else we will need a howto!
Sry for the svn dir, i thought i removed it from zip.

Why copyrights - Firebird ist open source i thought?
fabian
designshouse
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by designshouse »

"Firebird is completely free of any registration, licensing or deployment fees. It may be deployed freely for use with any third-party software, whether commercial or not." - www.firebirdsql.org
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

OK, I just wanted to be sure...

@fabian, can you please zip the DLL's? I did not find them in your zip. I'll add it immediately.

Mark
Terence
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

Post by Terence »

Really not in there, well ok. Zip contains libs for fb15 and 2.0 for windows.
Would be greate if someone out there can make a unix bundle, i never used it on unix and have no idea what exactly is needed (in worst case).

http://cforce.dnsalias.org/files/firebird2.zip
fabian