Zeos 7.0.x and 7.1.x

The official tester's forum for ZeosLib 7.1. Ask for help, post proposals or solutions.
miab3
Zeos Test Team
Zeos Test Team

Zeos 7.0.x and 7.1.x

Post by miab3 »

@mdaems, @EgonHugeist,

Mark, if you could direct attention of users to version 7.1.1-rc: and:
http://svn.code.sf.net/p/zeoslib/code-0 ... sting-7.1/
as it seems to me that the version 7.0.x does not have a big chance to be developed.

Michal
EgonHugeist
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Re: Zeos 7.0.x and 7.1.x

Post by EgonHugeist »

Michal,

don't understand you here. 7.0 is a pure maintance release, no behavior changes allowed. 7.1 equals since beta state.

All other "experimental" or behavior changes going to 7.2. The current 7.1.1-rc release has a mem-leak which is fixed if 7.1.2-stable is comming.

Btw. XE5 is released. Any expiriences?
Best regards, Michael

You want to help? http://zeoslib.sourceforge.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3671
You found a (possible) bug? Use the new bugtracker dude! http://sourceforge.net/p/zeoslib/tickets/

miab3
Zeos Test Team
Zeos Test Team

Post by miab3 »

@EgonHugeist, @mdaems,

Most of the comments and reports concerns bugs version 7.0.3, version 7.0.4 and version 7.0.5 instead, version 7.0.1-rc in which these errors are not, or can be easily removed.
Last week, 903 people have downloaded version 7.0.5-stable, and version 7.1.1-rc (which is in every way better and less fraught with error rate) 79 people :( .
Why maintain two versions of the same functionality and a slightly different architecture?

Michal
Zoran
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by Zoran »

miab3 wrote: @EgonHugeist, @mdaems,

Most of the comments and reports concerns bugs version 7.0.3, version 7.0.4 and version 7.0.5 instead, version 7.0.1-rc in which these errors are not, or can be easily removed.
Last week, 903 people have downloaded version 7.0.5-stable, and version 7.1.1-rc (which is in every way better and less fraught with error rate) 79 people :( .
Why maintain two versions of the same functionality and a slightly different architecture?

Michal
I believe that we must always have one stable, released version regularly maintained. So, while 7.1 is still beta, before it gets released, 7.0 is still the latest released version and maintaining its functionality should have the biggest priority over the further developing.
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

That's my idea too. As long as 7.1 is not declared stable, 7.0 should be maintained.

However, I'm afraid we did backport too much lately. We had some reasons to do so, but not all of them were equally valid, I'm afraid.

It's difficult to decide where a fix should be applied. And how it should be done.
Our current policy is to test fixes in the testing branch and then backport them to the stable version when the required effort is reasonable. But that became difficult when the 7.1 codebase started to deviate too much from the 7.0 version. Finally we ended up alligning 7.0 more and more to the 7.1 version. Which also introduced a serious regression in 7.0.5. I hope to have 7.0.5a release ready very soon to fix this.

Which means we'll try to have only very simple or very urgent fixes to stable versions in the future.
All other stuff will have to wait for the next release.

Finally : we have released

Michal,
We plan to release 7.1.2-Stable soon. Ending support of 7.0. (Unless some other user wants to put time in this job)
I have a little problem in promoting this release, though.
I lost track of the important changes that went into it. Of course there is the change log of the 7.1 testing branch. But someone will have to go through it to highlight the important ones and filter the duplicates/corrections.

Mark