spam button??

Discusions not-related to our Components

Moderators: gto, cipto_kh, EgonHugeist

Would you like "report as spam" button on forum posts?

Poll ended at 28.07.2011, 12:29

yes
100%
no
No votes
don''t know
No votes

Total votes: 3

jeremicm
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

spam button??

Post by jeremicm »

from time to time, there's a few spam messages on forum... latest are
http://zeos.firmos.at/viewtopic.php?p=13234#13234 and http://zeos.firmos.at/viewtopic.php?p=13235#13235..

Is there a button to report this somewhere?
seawolf
Zeos Dev Team *
Zeos Dev Team *

Post by seawolf »

At the moment we need to contact the forum admins, because there are no
buttons to block spammers :x
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

seawolf,

Did you ever install such thing in phpBB2? If it's an easy patch I could try to install this. But that would take me some more hours to do. (I have a local testing installation, but it always takes me half an hour to get that up and working again)

Wondering if we shouldn't try to move the forum to sourceforge phpBB again. Not sure if they have ban buttons, however.

Mark
seawolf
Zeos Dev Team *
Zeos Dev Team *

Post by seawolf »

You could:

Enable registration activation: Administration Control Panel => General => (Board Configuration) User registration settings => (General settings) Account activation => Now select ‘By User‘ from ‘None‘ => Submit.Thereby all new registered accounts will be required to validate the email address which no automated spam bots would do with fabricated ones, at least for not-so-valuable new forums.
Use harder captcha images: Administration Control Panel => General => (Board Configuration) Visual confirmation settings => (General options) => GD CAPTCHA foreground noise => Select ‘Yes‘ instead of ‘No‘ => Submit.This would make the captcha a lot harder to break but also less user friendly / accessible because the texts are also much harder for human recognizing. To ease the pain, you may want to set the numeric values just below the option for background noises of x-axis and y-axis higher or zero. I use 200.

Or try this guide
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

seawolf,

This setting is already activated.
I just checked the spam posters, they seem to be real persons from their reactions. However, they are not well informed abot the subject, so they can be easily recognised by visual inspection of their posts. From time to time I also use Mass Delete to remove them (and eventually ban their IP addresses). It's a manual job, but the only way, I'm afraid.
When I set the CAPTCHA settings to aggressive new users start complaining, and then I have to create their accounts myself, which is even worse.

Mark