In this forum we will discuss things relating the ZEOSLib 6.6.x stable versions

Moderators: gto, EgonHugeist

Darkbow
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Lazarus + Zeos 6.6.6-stable

Post by Darkbow »

Ok, this is making me crazy...

I need to install Lazarus 0.9.23-FPC.2.4.2 in the hope it will help me to sort out some serious bugs regarding TImage and loading JPEGs.

I also need to use Zeos components with it, but I am not able to install neither 6.6.5 nor 6.6.6 versions in it. First one won't even compile and the second one installs but as soon as Lazarus is closed and reopened it tells me the Zeos packages are marked to be installed (?!)

I have tried it several times installing Lazarus from scratch, eliminating the directory in appData directory, etc.

Anyone managed to install this combination? If yes, what may I be missing? If not, any idea on what I can try?

Thanks and best regards
guidoaerts
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by guidoaerts »

Hi Darkbow,
First of all, why not the latest lazarus version?
As I have no experience on linux or so, I can only give some tips on windows. Both 6.6.5 abd 6.6.6 should install.
For Lazarus it is preferable that your username/profilename contains no spaces. And if you have for example an ampersand (&) in it, Lazarus will never rebuild, because make.exe hangs on that ampersand.
When installing a new zeos version, it is important to remove all paths to the old one, if you had set any.
When reïnstalling Lazarus, remove the directory :
C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Local Settings\Application Data\lazarus
because it is not removed when removing Lazarus.
Guido
Darkbow
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Darkbow »

guidoaerts wrote:Hi Darkbow,
Hi, and thx for your answer. :)
guidoaerts wrote: First of all, why not the latest lazarus version?
Because FPC 2.4.2 is the stable version of Free Pascal, as far as I know. I need to use a stable combination of FPC + Lazarus so I downloaded the Lazarus build that uses that FPC version.
guidoaerts wrote: As I have no experience on linux or so, I can only give some tips on windows.
Sorry, should have specified it. I am working on Windows XP SP 3 at the present moment. :oops:
guidoaerts wrote: Both 6.6.5 abd 6.6.6 should install.
For Lazarus it is preferable that your username/profilename contains no spaces. And if you have for example an ampersand (&) in it, Lazarus will never rebuild, because make.exe hangs on that ampersand.
Profilename is "Usuario", as user in spanish so that shouldn't be it.
guidoaerts wrote: When installing a new zeos version, it is important to remove all paths to the old one, if you had set any.
When reïnstalling Lazarus, remove the directory :
C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Local Settings\Application Data\lazarus
because it is not removed when removing Lazarus.
I have done that every time but still Lazarus "remembers" somehow which was the last project to be opened. I am puzzled on how Lazarus does that since I remove that directory and have checked the Registry for lazarus entries. I guess there must be some other config file somewhere but could not find it yet.

Besides, the strange thing is that 6.6.6 version installs properly at first and Lazarus is rebuilt "correctly", but as soon as I close Lazarus and open it again I get those weird errors about Zeos packages being marked for install. :S
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

Darkbow,

Lazarus version is 0.9.28.2 since a year, when I look at the sourceforge download pages. So 0.9.23 is quite old now (medio 2007, I think)

Mark
Darkbow
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Darkbow »

mdaems wrote:Darkbow,

Lazarus version is 0.9.28.2 since a year, when I look at the sourceforge download pages. So 0.9.23 is quite old now (medio 2007, I think)

Mark
sorry, that was a typo. I meant 0.9.28.3
Darkbow
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Darkbow »

Forgot to post the solution of my problem, just in case anybody else runs into it.

It seems it was a problem on the Lazarus side. I put the Zeos folder in the Components subfolder of the Lazarus installation and recompiled Lazarus. All went fine and I could create a project, drop some Zeos component and run it, but as soon as I closed Lazarus and reopened it the IDE went nuts.

I finally managed to solve the problem by using Lazarus 0.9.31 + FPC 2.4.2. and putting the Zeos folder somewhere outside the Lazarus installation.

Very weird :S