zeos.inc and versioning

The alpha/beta tester's forum for ZeosLib 7.0.x series

Report problems concerning our Delphi 2009+ version and new Zeoslib 7.0 features here.

This is a forum that will be removed once the 7.X version goes into stable!!

Moderators: gto, EgonHugeist, olehs

marcov
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

zeos.inc and versioning

Post by marcov »

I noticed that Zeos stil uses versions (150below) etc to steer condiitional code.

This can be a bit clumsy specially with two different version hierarchies (FPC's and Delphi's). It can be easier to move to a capability based system as described in this document:

http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/porting.pdf

(originally written for the Delphi-jedi list somewhere in the 2000-2003 timeframe)
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

Thanks marcov,

I did read your essay with much interest. Unfortunately changing the code this way might be a lot of work. And exactly that (time) is missing at the moment.
The more : I don't know the reason for most of the conditional code, so it will be difficult to name the capabilities that require the conditional code.
Even worse : I have no idea about the capabilities the different compilers have.

So I'll try to think about it when creating more conditional code. But converting the existing codebase isn't a real option at the moment, I'm afraid.
Unless... someone pops up who wants to take the initiative, of course.

Mark
marcov
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by marcov »

It doesn't have to be a bigbang change. You can do it gradually as you find out things.