MSSQL 6.5(too old) is it possible to connect?

The offical for ZeosLib 7.3 Report problems, ask for help, post proposals for the new version of Zeoslib 7.3/v8
Quick Info:
-We made two new drivers: odbc(raw and unicode version) and oledb
-GUID domain/field-defined support for FB
-extended error infos of Firebird
-performance ups are still in queue
In future some more feature will arrive, so stay tuned and don't hassitate to help
hamacker
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

MSSQL 6.5(too old) is it possible to connect?

Post by hamacker »

Hi ALL,

New job here, I need to migrate old dababase MSSQL 6.5 w/ BDE+Delphi7 to FirebirdSQL/Lazarus.
Old Delphi use BDE w/ SQL Links to access MSSQL version 6.5 with several stored procedures, it´s run fine because BDE use C:\MSSQL\BINN\ntwdblib.dll directly to talk. But in my tests, Zeos not.
I try ODBC drivers, but not installable in Win10/11, just Win7.

There is a possibility to use zeos to access MSSQL 6.5 or other method that I can do that?
marsupilami
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: MSSQL 6.5(too old) is it possible to connect?

Post by marsupilami »

Hmm - I see several possibilities:
  • Continue to use the BDE for migrating the data. Read the data using the BDE and write it to Firebird using Zeos.
  • Use Zeos 7.2 for connecting. Zeos 7.2 still has support for the ntwdblib.dll. But be careful and double check if the data was transferred correctly. Also Zeos 7.2 has no support for Numeric/Decimal fields.
  • Try to use Zeos 8.0 with freetds. Recent builds can be found their automated build system. Take care because these buildes require the C++ runtime environment according to the version of C++ they were built with.
If you try to access the data using Zeos, you might run into problems regarding the way Zeos reads metadata. The queries we use might not work on this old server. In that case we would have to check what to do. The oldest SQL server we test from time to time is SQL Server 2000.

Another option might be to check if you somehow can migrate the database to a newer version of SQL Server without changing the compatibility level of the database. Maybe newer versions (SQL Server 2005?)can read the old database files or something like that. If the database is small enough, you might be able to use an express edition.
hamacker
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by hamacker »

What is FreeDTS?
It´s free to use?
How to install in Windows enviroment?
There is no FreeDTS in protocol of zconnection (zeos8).
marsupilami wrote: 15.07.2022, 18:44 Hmm - I see several possibilities:
  • Continue to use the BDE for migrating the data. Read the data using the BDE and write it to Firebird using Zeos.
  • Use Zeos 7.2 for connecting. Zeos 7.2 still has support for the ntwdblib.dll. But be careful and double check if the data was transferred correctly. Also Zeos 7.2 has no support for Numeric/Decimal fields.
  • Try to use Zeos 8.0 with freetds. Recent builds can be found their automated build system. Take care because these buildes require the C++ runtime environment according to the version of C++ they were built with.
If you try to access the data using Zeos, you might run into problems regarding the way Zeos reads metadata. The queries we use might not work on this old server. In that case we would have to check what to do. The oldest SQL server we test from time to time is SQL Server 2000.

Another option might be to check if you somehow can migrate the database to a newer version of SQL Server without changing the compatibility level of the database. Maybe newer versions (SQL Server 2005?)can read the old database files or something like that. If the database is small enough, you might be able to use an express edition.
marsupilami
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by marsupilami »

hamacker wrote: 15.07.2022, 20:28 What is FreeDTS?
FreeTDS basically is a free reimplementation of the API the ntwdblib.dll uses. See www.freetds.org.
hamacker wrote: 15.07.2022, 20:28 It´s free to use?
Yes - it is free to use.
hamacker wrote: 15.07.2022, 20:28How to install in Windows enviroment?
You can download the library from their automated build system, if you only need one of the UTF-8, ISO-8859-1 or ISO 8859-2 character sets. Unfortunately they keep the build artifacts for one month only there.
You can also download a build from our files section. FreeTDS doesn't need a special installation. Just put the libraries in a folder and point Zeos to sybdb.dll / lilbsysbdb-5.dll.
hamacker wrote: 15.07.2022, 20:28There is no FreeDTS in protocol of zconnection (zeos8).
In Zeos 8 just use the mssql protocol.
hamacker
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by hamacker »

Well, not good.
I try ct.dll and sybdb.dll with zeos8 and result is:
System Error, (OS Code 193
I see another files like to bsqlodbc.exe, maybe to create another ways via ODBC, but I not understand how to execute them. :(

Maybe if I have this DLLs more than 10 years ago, but I´am not lucky.
I keep search over the internet and test some DLLs that I found like dblib_2000.dll and libsybdb-5.dll but without sucess again.

So I quit and test IB Pump from
https://github.com/CleverComponents/Interbase-DataPump
to transfer from BDE Database to Firebird, but it´s fail without sense in correct query. IB Pump is writen for Delphi7 and IBX components, maybe too old.

When I still run with BDE, the only way is write my own transfer program. If you know another program to do transfer, tip will be welcome.

Thanks a lot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marsupilami
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by marsupilami »

Hmmm - error code 193 is "%1 is not a valid Win32 application.". Maybe the dll file was destroyed at some part? Usually you want to use sybdb.dll. ct.dll is for another API (ctlib API).

I do have a data pump component that can be used to transfer data. It is not open source (yet) and not that simple to use. But it can be used in customizable ways. Let me know and I can upload it.
Fr0sT
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

Post by Fr0sT »

Why not export data as good old plain SQL script?
hamacker
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by hamacker »

This version MSSQL Enterprise Manager does not generate SQL Script for data, only meta. But there is a transfer data utility to another MSSQL. I will try if MSSQL 2019 can import it from this transfer or from backup/restore.
marsupilami
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by marsupilami »

hamacker wrote: 26.07.2022, 13:24 I will try if MSSQL 2019 can import it from this transfer or from backup/restore.
Even if SQL Server 2019 cannot read the backup, maybe older versions can? Do you have access to older versions? How big is the database?
Fr0sT
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

Post by Fr0sT »

hamacker wrote: 26.07.2022, 13:24 This version MSSQL Enterprise Manager does not generate SQL Script for data, only meta.
You mean, 6.5? You can try installing a bit more fresh version like 2000 and do backup/restore to it. Then export data as SQL. Old SQL server versions still can be found on Internet.
And you always can write your own app to transfer the data, it's really not so hard
hamacker
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by hamacker »

Yes, I need to found this versions:
MSSQL 6.5->7.0->2000->2005->2008R2

not peace of cake found them, but I will try.
Fr0sT
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

Post by Fr0sT »

Yeah, pretty hard task. Recently I was surfing the web searching for versions > 2000 and found express 2005 at last but that was not easy. But you can stop at 2000 as it has SQL data export already.
Btw, have you tried DB managers like DBeaver? Probably it could connect to 6.5 and do export
Fr0sT
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

Post by Fr0sT »

BTW, I have 2000 and 2005 installed and I can check if 6.5's backup is restorable by these versions. Just provide some dummy test backup
hamacker
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by hamacker »

Yes, all of them refuse to connect using Win10, maybe is different using old windows versions.
Just BDE may something different using Win10, because connect without any error. I think because BDE uses dblib correctly and others no way to use it, maybe prefer ctlib or newer and in win10 there is a hidden replacement for microsoft products, I suspect.
In old delphi there is two BDE for two differnts delphi, regular BDE for Delphi Workstation and BDE with SQL Links that came only in Delphi Enterprise+ . Only with SQL Links that I can connect DB2, MSSQL, Oracle,...

Now Is more clear that I need to do, thanks a lot.