Forum related to version 6.5.1 (alpha) and 6.6.x (beta) of ZeosLib's DBOs

Moderators: gto, cipto_kh, EgonHugeist

tatamata
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Batch insert/update

Post by tatamata »

Hello.
Could someone point me to direction how to insert many records in one operation (batch insert) to PostgreSQL, using Lazarus and Zeos?
I would appreciate an example.
Thanks.
gto
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

Post by gto »

Put a TZSqlProcessor, link it to a TZConnection, fill up the SQL property of processor, separating the operations with the delimiter (specified in processor's properties) and call Processor.ExecSQL.

Saving any name typo (I'm without any IDE right now), that's all!
Use the FU!!!!!IN Google !

gto's Zeos Quick Start Guide

Te Amo Taís!
btrewern
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by btrewern »

If you are using a (very) new version of PostgreSQL (not sure if it's 8.1 or 8.2 but) you can use the multiple rows version of INSERT. example from the Postgresql docs:

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO products (product_no, name, price) VALUES
    (1, 'Cheese', 9.99),
    (2, 'Bread', 1.99),
    (3, 'Milk', 2.99);
This should be faster than seperate inserts.

If you do use lots of inserts, wrap say 1000 of them in a transaction. This should speed thing up considerably as PostgreSQL has a high transaction overhead.

Regards,

Ben
tatamata
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by tatamata »

Hi!
In fact, I was trying to batch insert data from a .csv file to a PostgreSQL table, by looping through both datasets and appending rows from .csv file to PostgreSQL table.
The following code works:

procedure TForm1.ButtonImportOrdersClick(Sender: TObject);
begin
//Start transaction?
//ZConnection1.AutoCommit:=False;
//ZConnection1.StartTransaction;

//Delete all from table "orders".
//ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.Edit;
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.EmptyDataSet;
//ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.Post;

ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.Refresh;

//Enable cached updates.
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.CachedUpdates:=True;

//Go to the first row in both tables.
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.First;
SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.First;

//Disable controls.
//ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.DisableControls;
while not SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.EOF do
begin
//Enable appending new data.
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.Append;

//Set field values.
//If SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.FieldByName('Sys.status') like '%CNF%' THEN
if pos(' CNF ', SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.FieldByName('Sys.status').AsString)<>0 then
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.FieldByName('order_confirmed_finally').AsBoolean:=True
else
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.FieldByName('order_confirmed_finally').AsBoolean:=False;
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.FieldByName('order').AsString:= SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.FieldByName('Order').Value;
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.FieldByName('product').AsString:= SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.FieldByName('Material').Value;
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.FieldByName('product_description').AsString:= SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.FieldByName('Mat.descr.').Value;
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.FieldByName('order_type').AsString:= SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.FieldByName('Order type').Value;
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.FieldByName('product_target_qty').AsVariant:= SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.FieldByName('Target qty').Value;
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.FieldByName('product_target_qty_units').AsString:= SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.FieldByName('Target qty1').Value;
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.FieldByName('order_planned_start').AsDateTime:= SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.FieldByName('Bas. start').Value;
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.FieldByName('order_planned_finish').AsDateTime:= SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.FieldByName('Basic fin.').Value;
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.FieldByName('product_confirmed_qty').AsVariant:= SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.FieldByName('Conf. qty').AsVariant;
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.FieldByName('product_delivered_qty').AsVariant:= SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.FieldByName('Del. qty').AsVariant;
if SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.FieldByName('Created on').AsString <>'' then
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.FieldByName('order_created_date').AsDateTime:= SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.FieldByName('Created on').Value;
if SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.FieldByName('Release').AsString<>'' then
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.FieldByName('order_released_date').AsDateTime:= SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.FieldByName('Release').Value;
if SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.FieldByName('Act. start').AsString <>'' then
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.FieldByName('order_actual_start').AsDateTime:= SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.FieldByName('Act. start').Value;
if SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.FieldByName('Act.finish').AsString<>'' then
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.FieldByName('order_actual_finish').AsDateTime:= SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.FieldByName('Act.finish').Value;
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.FieldByName('order_status').AsString:= SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.FieldByName('Sys.status').AsString;
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.FieldByName('plant').AsString:= 'NE05';
if SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.FieldByName('Order type').AsString='PI01' THEN
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.FieldByName('order_active').AsBoolean:=True
else
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.FieldByName('order_active').AsBoolean:=False;

//Post appended row.
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.Post;

//Move to next row in both tables.
SdfDataSetOrdersCsv.Next;
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.Next;
end;

//Apply appended row (cached update).
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.ApplyUpdates;
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.CommitUpdates;

//Commit transaction?
//ZConnection1.Commit;

//Enable controls.
ZTableOrdersPostgreSQL.EnableControls;
end;

But,

1. I'm not shure whether CachedUpdates insert value row by row, or the whole statement (all rows at once). Why do I need CommitUpdates after ApplyUpdates?
2. If I try to uncomment "...StartTransaction....Commit" I get error that operation is not allowed for NonAutoCommit...". What operation?
3. Should I use string concatenation that would create SQL string for INSERT INTO, from the .csv file, as btrewern suggests, instead?

Can someone explain me what is CachedUpdate and whether that is what I need, or I need StartTransaction/Commit methods of connection object.
I need something that will behave like TBatchMove in Delphi...

Regards,

Zlatko
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

1) Row by row.
2) Starttransaction is not allowed when you're not in autocommit mode. In autocommit mode it can be used to group some statements that should be committed at once.
3) CachedUpdates means there is no post of changes until you ask for it by Applyupdates.
tatamata
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by tatamata »

Hi!
1. What is the difference between ApplyUpdates and CommitUpdates?
2. If cahced updates inserts row by row, is there any other way to insert rows in a batch?

Regards,

Zlatko