Forum related to version 6.5.1 (alpha) and 6.6.x (beta) of ZeosLib's DBOs

Moderators: gto, cipto_kh, EgonHugeist

Prometeus
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Zeoslib revision 261 is not working with Firebird 2.1 Beta 1

Post by Prometeus »

Hello,

All my projects were working good with Zeoslib rev 261 and Firebird 2.01 until I test them with Firebird 2.1 Beta 1. Now nothing more works. Is this happening with anybody else? A simple 'SELECT' doesn´t work anymore when I give the 'Open' command in 'ZQuery', for example.
Last edited by Prometeus on 03.08.2007, 22:29, edited 2 times in total.
cipto_kh
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by cipto_kh »

Ups... if they not change the API it should be work or maybe the check of the protocol 2.0 that limit this?? or something else?
Prometeus
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by Prometeus »

Hello,

Yes, perhaps there is some problem on version checking. I traced the error but I uninstalled 'Firebird 2.1 Beta 1' so I can't reproduce it now. But the error was been raising at 'ZAbstractRODataset' if I'm not wrong, on 'GetFieldData' method. I think the solution to this isn't that difficult but I don't know Zeos internals enough to do it myself.
Prometeus
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by Prometeus »

Hello,

I was afraid Zeos was dead. I think Firebird is used by many people here but no word from Zeos developers about this incompatiblity. Maybe this is because Firebird 2.1 is still in beta stage but I used to use Firebird beta with Zeos with success. No one testing this combination around?

Thanks for any answer from Zeos developers.
gto
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

Post by gto »

Hum, beta release.

Zeos is NOT dead, when firebird came out with a stable release, all things should work. Think that if one developer start to build the compatibility layer (ZPlain, mostly), before the final release comes out, firebird may change 101%. So, this developer is working for almost nobody and for nothing.

Firebird is a great DB, wide spreaded and with a long road ahead. This actual version (2.0) should be merged with firebird vulcan (a fork) at version 3. So, expect many new things to come and many unsuported features ;)
Use the FU!!!!!IN Google !

gto's Zeos Quick Start Guide

Te Amo Taís!
Prometeus
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by Prometeus »

Hello gto,

Thanks for your answer. I use Firebird version 2.01 and it works great with Zeos. Firebird 2.1 has some improvements as you know and I would like to test it but that version doesn't work with Zeos yet. I'll wait for its final release and the respective Zeos compatible layer.
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

gto,

Do you really think there's a possibility Firebird interfaces will still change before the next release? If not, it would be nice when somebody volunteers to write the new plaindriver unit(s).

Mark
gto
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

Post by gto »

mdaems, there's nothing clear until now. Vulcan interface is almost the same of Firebird, but they plan to include new features. I think the best thing is to wait a bit to, at least, an RC release.

Te Amo Taís!
gto
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

Post by gto »

Well, I've read the changelog and this release really improves firebird. I've became exited too =D

Here's the changelog:
http://www.firebirdsql.org/devel/doc/rl ... tes21.html

Beside many bugfixes and internal improvements, there are the best new features IMHO:

- database level triggers
- temporary tables
- standard implementation of common tables queries
- UPDATE OR INSERT sql clause
- lots of new internal functions
- unicode collations
- port for w2003-64bit
- database motinoring via system tables
- context (server) information via SQL

Te Amo Taís!