ZEOS database component like TDabatase or TIBDatabase

In this forum we will discuss things relating the ZEOSLib 6.6.x stable versions

Moderators: gto, EgonHugeist

una.bicicleta
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by una.bicicleta »

I make several modifications and add 2 new components in ZEOSDBO-7.0.0-alpha (Delphi 2007 package only):

Feature:
- New TZAbstractConnection
- New TZConnectionGroup
- New TZGroupedConnection
- Simple encrypt/decrypt for User/Password in TZConnectionGroup

There's a demo on how to use TZGroupedConnection with TZQuery or TZTable in my file attachment.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

una.bicicleta,

Having a quick look at it, this seems the kind of change I had expected.
The only problem that I have is : I don't know where te real changes are located.
Can you provide
- a diff report
or
- a zip with only the changed/new files and the originals
?
That way I can do the merge with the current development branch more easily.

Concerning the acceptability of the new compoents : no doubt this will be included in zeoslib 7 when I get it packaged/compiled for D7 and higher and Lazarus.

Mark
una.bicicleta
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by una.bicicleta »

Ok, I still need time to make TZSQLMetadata compatible with TZConnectionGroup, I will upload the diff report and the new files after that.

Btw, what software you're using to make a diff report ?
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

I usually use TortoiseSVN to diff changes in a working copy. But when you're not using a SVN checkout, any clear difference report will do.

Just out of curiosity : how does TZSQLMetadata relate to a connection GROUP? As far as I understand it is very much related to a specific connection. When relating it to a connection group the group itself would also need to be a connection on itself.

Mark
una.bicicleta
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by una.bicicleta »

Sorry, I meant TZGroupedconnection.
It works now, I change all TZConnection to TZAbstractConnection in ZPropertyeditor.pas

Components that compatible with TZGroupedConnection so far:
- TZReadOnlyQuery
- TZQuery
- TZTable
- TZStoredProc
- TZSQLMetadata

I tested it under Windows 7, Delphi 2007, Firebird 2.1 and quick check for MySql 5.1.36 database

I do hope you and ZeosDBO community can make this component more perfect.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

una.bicicleta,

I had a little work doing the merge, but there were no problems with the test suite, so old behaviour of the standard TZConnection seem to work fine.
This feature is now available in testing branch (SVN rev. 746) and will move to trunk within the next few weeks.

Did you ever consider using an svn checkout of the zeos 7 trunk or testing branch version? There you'll have all fixes available that have been done since the 7.0.0 release.

Mark
una.bicicleta
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by una.bicicleta »

I will check the svn branch that you mention.

Thanks.
Wild_Pointer
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by Wild_Pointer »

Hello, all

first of all - great work! I think people will find the components useful for their tasks. There are some notices I'd like to share with you.
First of all the bug http://zeosbugs.firmos.at/view.php?id=232#bugnotes. The patch provided by papelhigienico fixes it.
I looked through the source and there are no comment in unit ZConnectionGroup. As the components are something new comparing to dbGo or BDE component collections in Delphi, the comments are very welcome. Also, as the documentation is generated from the source, so no comments - no documentation...
Now then the components are on the trunk, the missing artwork is a pain in an eye... Any thoughts they should look like??

Thank you for the contribution to Zeos Lib once again.
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

Wild_Pointer,

I fully agree. Some art designers around?

Concerning docs,... that's an old pain... Always ready to merge in simple documentation additions. I all parts of the code. It doesn't even have to be a patch file. Just the plain javadoc notation in the way it is available throughout the library and the name of the function/procedure, object it is refering to is enough for me.

Mark
papelhigienico
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by papelhigienico »

Sorry, I'm a "little delayed", but what's the main purpose of TZConnectionGroup and TZGroupedConnection?

It can replicate changes across multiples database servers, like a redundant connection???
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

Well,

It's a way to have multiple connections to the same server while only having to maintain the connection properties (eg. password dialog) in one object, the Connection group. Instead of multiple normal ZConnections you add ZGroupedConnections connected to the ZConnectionGroup and they all use the same connection setting.

But : I personally never used it because usually one connection per database should be sufficient.

Mark