PostgreSQL timestamp with timezone issue

The offical for ZeosLib 7.3 Report problems, ask for help, post proposals for the new version of Zeoslib 7.3/v8
Quick Info:
-We made two new drivers: odbc(raw and unicode version) and oledb
-GUID domain/field-defined support for FB
-extended error infos of Firebird
-performance ups are still in queue
In future some more feature will arrive, so stay tuned and don't hassitate to help
MJFShark
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re: PostgreSQL timestamp with timezone issue

Post by MJFShark »

The changes to the timezone stuff for Pg are great! A few issues:

in TZAbstractPostgreSQLPreparedStatementV3.GetRawEncodedSQL

it does:

Code: Select all

if (FTokenMatchIndex = -1) and (FPQResultFormat = ParamFormatBin) then
However FPQResultFormat hasn't been set yet and since it's not initialized it is always zero (ParamFormatStr.) My quick fix is to just remove that check (which isn't optimal in ParamFormatStr mode obviously.)

Also the "set" command for time zones allows the syntax:

SET TIMEZONE = 'UTC';
(besides the normal SET TIME ZONE syntax)

So I added cTimeZone: PChar = 'TIMEZONE'; to the constants and check for it before the check for cTime. Here's my code:

Code: Select all

if (NextToken.TokenType = ttWord) and (NextToken.L = 8) and SameText(NextToken.P, cTimeZone, 8) and (Tokens.Count > J+1) then begin
              FDoUpdateTimestampOffet := True;
            end
            else    // next line already exists
            if (NextToken.TokenType = ttWord) and (NextToken.L = 4) and SameText(NextToken.P, cTime, 4) and (Tokens.Count > J+1) then begin
Thanks!

-Mark
Fr0sT
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

Re: PostgreSQL timestamp with timezone issue

Post by Fr0sT »

General note: storing timestamps with offsets is just like storing strings in different codepages. It's even worse because offsets change.
You pre-calculate current offset and a second later winter=>summer time happens. Or offset changes. How about calculating correct offset for a time in the past if there were two offset changes and DST change cancellation since then? :)
So there are only two reliable options - use GMT0 everywhere even for displaying and use OS/ICU facilities for getting offsets (still need to be maintained for recent changes)