In this forum we will discuss things relating the ZEOSLib 6.6.x stable versions

Moderators: gto, EgonHugeist

seekbirdy
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Application frozen while executing ZConnection.Connect

Post by seekbirdy »

Hello!

I have ZeosDBO 6.6.5 and trying to connect to Interbase 5.5 DB. When I call ZConnection.Connect, it connects within 5-10 seconds.

It maybe could be OK, but the problem is that during this call the whole application is frozen, i.e. not responding to any mouse etc. I tried to place this Connect to a separate thread but had the same story...

Have any good advice for me? Thanks in advance.
trupka
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by trupka »

It looks to me like dll or network problem. Database is on localhost or you are connecting over the network?
seekbirdy
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by seekbirdy »

It's on the localhost, but how the dll could freeze whole application?

The problem is not in a long-lasting connection (this is usual for IB 5.5, it works similarly in other applications), but in the fact that the app doesn't respond while this connection performs.
trupka
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by trupka »

seekbirdy wrote:It's on the localhost, but how the dll could freeze whole application?
I didn't meant client dll (gds32) but more general - some synchronous/blocking calls inside "other" dll (like network IO) can temporary make application unresponsive. Some time ago I got serious headache caused by buggy third-party LSP dlls. Symptoms were similar like yours, but, since you are using local connection, we can disregard that.
I must admit that I'm not using IB5.x any more but I'll try with some hints:
- got windows System Recovery active? Try to turn it of.
- multi-core CPU? Try to set CPU affinity
- try to connect to server with some non-database client e.g. get putty and connect with raw connection to localhost:3050. Terminal window must pop-up immediately and allow you to write some chars before IB server bumps you out. If not - its some kind of "network" problem, otherwise client or disk i/o or...something... :roll:
seekbirdy
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by seekbirdy »

Ok, thanks a lot for the advice! I'll investigate it in more detail... Hope your comments will help.