Forum related to MySQL

Moderators: gto, cipto_kh, EgonHugeist

MerijnB
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Modifying (or adding to) a dataset returned by a stored proc

Post by MerijnB »

With the risk of asking something very stupid :p

I'm trying to modify or add a record to a dataset returned by a stored procedure. I don't any errors, but the changes are just not stored in the database.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
- A software developer is somebody who looks both left and right before crossing a one-way street.
trupka
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by trupka »

It doesn't seem like database (mysql) specific problem so maybe I can help. What components are you using to achieve this? Can you post a little sample?
MerijnB
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by MerijnB »

trupka wrote:It doesn't seem like database (mysql) specific problem so maybe I can help. What components are you using to achieve this? Can you post a little sample?
Hi trupka, thanks for your reply. The setup is very simple, I have a global TZConnection:

fZConnection := TZConnection.Create(Self);
fZConnection.HostName := 'localhost';
fZConnection.User := 'root';
fZConnection.Password := 'password';
fZConnection.Database := 'database';
fZConnection.Protocol := 'mysql';
// line below is needed for the stored procedures which result a dataset
fZConnection.Properties.Add('CLIENT_MULTI_STATEMENTS=1');
fZConnection.Connect();

And a global TZQuery:
fQuery := TZQuery.Create(Self);
fQuery.Connection := fZConnection;

When calling the stored procedure, I do this:
fQuery.SQL.Text := 'call my_stored_procedure()';
fQuery.Open();

It all seems to work ok, untill I try to edit a record in the dataset or try to append to it. No errors, but the changes just aren't written in the database.
- A software developer is somebody who looks both left and right before crossing a one-way street.
seawolf
Zeos Dev Team *
Zeos Dev Team *

Post by seawolf »

I think it's the right behaviour .. I mean How to know which tables are involved and their relationship?

I think the problem could be is not permit of the query to go on edit mode
MerijnB
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by MerijnB »

seawolf wrote:I think it's the right behaviour .. I mean How to know which tables are involved and their relationship?
mode
I was starting to expect exactly this and was hoping somebody here can acknowledge it, since I'd except to find more posts in the form about this.
trupka
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by trupka »

seawolf wrote:I think it's the right behaviour .. I mean How to know which tables are involved and their relationship?
There is no way TZQuery can now that - that information is "hidden" inside stored procedure code and that's "by design". IMO, solution is TZUpdateSQL.
MerijnB wrote:I was starting to expect exactly this and was hoping somebody here can acknowledge it, since I'd except to find more posts in the form about this.
Try this:

Code: Select all

And a global TZQuery:
fQuery := TZQuery.Create(Self);
uQuery := TZUpdateSQL.Create(self);
uQuery.ModifySQL.Text := '-- write you own, only you know what tables need modification';
uQuery.InsertSQL.Text := '-- write you own, only you know where to insert data';
uQuery.DeleteSQL.Text := '-- write you own, TZQuery and stored proc doesn''t know what to delete';
fQuery.UpdateObject := uQuery;
fQuery.Connection := fZConnection;

When calling the stored procedure, I do this:
fQuery.SQL.Text := 'call my_stored_procedure()';
fQuery.Open();