Moderators: gto, EgonHugeist

Delboy
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Need help to get started

Post by Delboy »

Hi

First let me congratulate everyone involved with this worthy project

I wish to connect my Delphi 7 Pro desktop App to a remote MySql Database Note that I do not have MySQL installed on my PC I have just installed Zeos 6.6.4-stable into my IDE and now need help getting connected So

1. Do I need to have anything else installed on my PC I have found mention of some dll files Are theses needed for just a remote DB access only and If so where can I get them

2. I have talked to the chap who runs the MySQL database and he does not understand the Catalog property in the TZConnection component Could you please describe what this is in more detail Note I have already seen the Zeos quick start guide in the KB

3. Also if you could provide a list of the things he has to do to let me connect that would be great

4. Finally when i open ZeosLibCBO.chm I get "Navigation to web page was cancelled"

Thanks for your help
artelogic
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by artelogic »

1. You need libmysql.dll in the app dir or in PATH dir, eg. C:\Windows\system32. You get it with MySQL Server for Win, for example.
2. Catalog is the Database (which is called catalog in MySQL) which is in use by the connection by default.
3. Nothing, except for having the server running and granting access to it, which means that your computer must be able to reach his one on port 3306 assumed he has installed MySQL on the default port.
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

1. Eventually you can get it from the bigger snapshot packages or from our SVN repository. This shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't distribute them with non GPL software.
2. Catalog doesn't have to be used for mysql. Just leave it empty and make sure the database property is set correctly.

Mark
artelogic
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by artelogic »

2. Obviously I was wrong with Catalog. So my question: Is there a possibility to change the database an IZConnection is working with?
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

As far as I know only by disconnecting from the server and connecting again using a new setting. In case of mysql you could try to use the 'use <database>' statement, but this would probably not be enough for exact metadata retrieval (which is important for the updatability of queries).

Mark
Delboy
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Delboy »

mdaems wrote:1. Eventually you can get it from the bigger snapshot packages or from our SVN repository. This shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't distribute them with non GPL software.
2. Catalog doesn't have to be used for mysql. Just leave it empty and make sure the database property is set correctly.

Mark
OK I found a copy of libmysql.dll from

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-f ... l?libmysql

Is this the latest version?

however I now have a problem when i try to connect to the server . First the MySQL version I am trying to connect to is as follows

5.0.67-community

The guy who runs it seems to think that the protocol I need is mysqld-5
Could you please confirm if this is correct or should it be just mysql-5

The reason I ask is that if i use protocal mysqld-5 I get a request that I should be using one of the following

libmysqld.dll libmysqld50.dll libmysqld51.dll

However if I use protocol mysql-5 then with libmysql.dll I get the fololwing message

Access denied for user 'user@'IP address' (using password: YES)

i am having difficulty in finding the other Dll's Where can i get these if I need them Are they in the SVN and which one to I need

Thanks
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

Well, you need mysql-5 without the D. That one with the D is only for use with an embedded mysql server. The acccess denied error means you have found the server and tried to logon with user 'user' and a password from machine 'IP address'. So far everything is GOOD. The dll is new enough to understand the connection protocol (otherwise you get an error telling the authentication protocol is too old). If you want to know exactly what dll version you use : Do ShowMessage(ZConnection1.ClientVersion) before trying to connect. (or without connecting)

What can you do now? Check with the administrator if you are allowed to connect from your machine (!!!) to his server with that user and password. It is only a mysql authentication problem.

Mark