Porting from version 6.1.5 to 6.6.4 (Delphi 7)

In this forum we will discuss things relating the ZEOSLib 6.6.x stable versions

Moderators: gto, EgonHugeist

gury
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Porting from version 6.1.5 to 6.6.4 (Delphi 7)

Post by gury »

Hello,

I have a question for you maestros. Please tell me if there are any issues when porting from ZeosLib 6.1.5 to 6.6.4. I am programming in Delphi 7 using ZEOSLib to connect to MySQL 4.0 and Firebird 2.0.4 databases. Is MySQL 4.0 still supported by new library? Are there any new properties to be set for application to work properly? The main reason for asking this is because I must still use MySQL 4.0.18~ for my application at work, which is in daily use.

Thanks in advance,
Gury
You are welcome to visit my homepage: http://gury.atari8.info/
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

Hi gury,

Mysql4.0 should still be supported, but you must change the default settings in zeos.inc . We consider 4.0 as deprecated. It wil not be available in next version anymore. I'd advise you to upgrade these old systems to 5.1 when that release is finally declared stable. As you probably know : support for mysql 4.0 is over now...

I don't know the porting issues from zeos 6.1.5 to 6.6.4. I'm 'new' in the project since 6.5.1-alpha, so I never used this version. But I guess you can find more about this in other forum threads.

Mark
gury
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by gury »

Thanks for the hint, mdaems. I will consider new versions of MySQL, of course. Firebird is not the problem, because I use Firebird 2.0.4 with ZeosLib 6.6.4 with no problems. However, I still have problems with connecting to MySQL 4.0.18. Is property RequestLive deprecated?

Please tell me what change has to be done in Zeos.inc? I found this excerpt:

// Enables MySQL support in TZConnection/TZDataset
{$DEFINE ENABLE_MYSQL}
// Enables Mysql 3.x and 4.0 support
// These versions are deprecated and will not be supported in future versions of zeoslib.
{.$DEFINE ENABLE_MYSQL_DEPRECATED}

Has the last line to be changed? And, has this change to be done before installing ZEOS components or it can be modified later?
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

{.$DEFINE ENABLE_MYSQL_DEPRECATE
Remove the dot in this line before you compile and install zeoslib. If you already installed : compile everything again and install the componentdesign package.
This should re-enable the old mysql protocols. Difficult to support these from our side however. I'm only sure they worked well 'once'. They shouldn't have changed but you know, bugs grow easy... If you find some bugs and you can resolve them, let me know. I'll apply the fixes to the 6.6 branch (as long as they don't break other stuff or the workings of the new protocols)

Requestlive=true changed to readonly=false. You can just replace this. No functional change.

Success!

Mark
gury
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by gury »

Hi mdaems,

I decided to use 6.6.4 and new versions for newer databases like Firebird 2 and others, for MySQL 4.0 in my case I will still use 6.1.5, because I think it is stable enough to be part of production run on my work. If they decide to go for new version of MySQL, I will use your excellent new libraries.

Thank you for everrything and of course, if I see anything strange or find new features / patches I will definitely report here on this forum.