What Zeos version with Delphi 4?

Forum related to version 6.5.1 (alpha) and 6.6.x (beta) of ZeosLib's DBOs

Moderators: gto, cipto_kh, EgonHugeist

Ralph
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

What Zeos version with Delphi 4?

Post by Ralph »

I have a rather big application programmed in Delphi 4... and I still use Zeos 5.4.1 with PostgreSQL 8.3.1

What stable version of Zeos would you recommend for use with Delphi 4 C/S?

Will 6.1.5 run with Delphi 4? What about 6.5.1?

Or - if I have to get a recent version of Delphi: I am not familiar with the different editions of Delphi. What do I need to work with Zeos (Professional, Architect, Enterprise...)?

Ralph
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

- No idea about 6.1.5. That 's before I got involved with Zeos.
- Never use 6.5.1 : that's old. Use at least 6.6.2.
- I don't think there are minimal versions for recent Delphi versions anymore.

Mark
gto
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

Post by gto »

Hello Ralph!

Some time ago, when Zeos moved from 6.5 to 6.6, we have some users that needed to adapt Zeos for delphi 5, and since then, it should work there.

Delphi 4 is the even version number, known as to be development version for the next odd version number, in this case, delphi 5. We can proof it by delphi 2, delphi 4, delphi 6 and delphi 8 which are nearly the same as their next versions.

I think, if you really want, you may download the latest bleeding version of Zeos and try install it. It should work, or it will hang. If it hangs, then you may solve or ask in the forum, until it installs. This way you'll get an updated version of Zeos, using Delphi 4 (pre 5) and we will know if it work in Delphi 4 or not :)

By the way, a personal advice, Delphi is nearly the same, from 1.0 until version 7. The most changing part was the backgrounds and the components, that get updated.

If I can, I strongly recommend you to update to Delphi 2007, which is DAMN better, specially for interface design. But if you fell insecure, you can update to delphi 7 with no loss of knowledge at all ;)
Use the FU!!!!!IN Google !

gto's Zeos Quick Start Guide

Te Amo Taís!
Ralph
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Ralph »

Thanks a lot for your answers!

I will see if I go for Delphi 2007 or if I check Zeos 6.6.2 with my old Delphi 4...

Ralph