Performance measurement with ZSQLMonitor?

Forum related to version 6.5.1 (alpha) and 6.6.x (beta) of ZeosLib's DBOs

Moderators: gto, cipto_kh, EgonHugeist

ccezar
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Performance measurement with ZSQLMonitor?

Post by ccezar »

Is it possible to measure SQL queries performance with ZSQLMonitor component? In the log of this component there is no information regarding timing of queries. Or maybe there is another profiling tool/method in ZEOS?

TIA,

Cezar
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

Bad luck. Profiling is not (yet?) part of the features list.

Mark
ccezar
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by ccezar »

mdaems wrote:Bad luck. Profiling is not (yet?) part of the features list.
Mark,

I've tought about it a little bit, and I think that simple time measuring will not be so hard to implement. Well, VERY simple time measuring - it means based on more than one second exactness. It'll be usefull at least for finding queries which are extremally time-consuming.

As an example: today I was searching for performance problem with set of dynamically generated queries, all of them with execution time less than 30 miliseconds except one which was almost 12 second. TZSQLMonitor was very helpfull with finding HOW exactly thouse queries look like, and then 'explain' command allowed me to find this bogus one.

What do you think - should I try to write a patch for TZSQLMonitor component which will try to measure congenial execution time for queries?

Cezar
ccezar
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by ccezar »

Oooops! I've just parsed TZSQLMonitor.pas It'll be not so easy to implement it - at least not in this unit, as it's event base. Such a performance monitoring should be done at database connector component level. Well, I'll try to investigate this :-)

Cezar