New documentation subproject started

All about the Doxygen documentation for Zeoslib.
Links to the downloads and online version.

Moderators: gto, bravecobra

mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

New documentation subproject started

Post by mdaems »

Hi to all of you!

We are proud to announce a new zeoslib documentation project has been started by bravecobra.

As (almost) nobody knew how to extract the inline documentation from the sources we tried to run the Doxygen doxumentation generator on our sources and the result was looked quite good 'out of the box'.

Just give it a look here :
zeoslib full sourcecode
zeoslib components

More information about what doxygen is and how it could be used can be found here:
Guidelines

Please have a look at it and tell us what you think about it in the newly opened 'Documentations forum.

As we want everyone to be able to experiment with and contribute at the documentation we just committed the first doxygen oriented files (config and readme) to the documentations directory of SVN testing branch. So feel free to use it and help us to extend the information available.

Your Zeoslib Development Team.
cipto_kh
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by cipto_kh »

As I know, the previous documentation is use DelphiCodeToDoc (with JavaDoc syntax), is it the same syntax of documentation between DelphiCodeToDoc and Doxygen? Just want to know :)
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

Same syntax can be used. That's why the change was possible with this quite acceptable result at first try. I think Doxygen's features are a little more advanced than DelphiCodeToDoc's. We are thinking about changing the header format a little in the future.

Did you have a look already at the newly written files in the documentation directory? As far as I know it's a 'one (double)click solution' once the necessary software (doxygen and pas2dox) is installed. This was our main goal before we presented this initiative to you all.

At the moment our main 'problem' is the C-like syntax of constructor/destructor methods. I suppose this is better handled by DelphiCodeToDoc? Can you convince us to switch back to DelphiCodeToDoc by making the needed configfile(s) and instruction notes about how to use it? What to install, where to execute what script? Can DelphiCodeToDoc be used in an automated linux build script?

Mark
firstrose
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by firstrose »

mdaems wrote:Same syntax can be used. That's why the change was possible with this quite acceptable result at first try. I think Doxygen's features are a little more advanced than DelphiCodeToDoc's. We are thinking about changing the header format a little in the future.

Did you have a look already at the newly written files in the documentation directory? As far as I know it's a 'one (double)click solution' once the necessary software (doxygen and pas2dox) is installed. This was our main goal before we presented this initiative to you all.

At the moment our main 'problem' is the C-like syntax of constructor/destructor methods. I suppose this is better handled by DelphiCodeToDoc? Can you convince us to switch back to DelphiCodeToDoc by making the needed configfile(s) and instruction notes about how to use it? What to install, where to execute what script? Can DelphiCodeToDoc be used in an automated linux build script?

Mark
In fact,all the members,not only constructors/destructors are dealt as C++ style now!

I tried DelphiCodeToDoc and found that it's perfect.It has console version and surely can be automated by linux,when a Kylix-compiled binary available.
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

Hi Firstrose, do you have a Kylix binary available? I can't find one on sourceforge.
Did you try to generate the docs for zeoslib? Can you deliver us a config file that works well? I had quite some dirty error messages in my test results. Just send by private message. I'll be on holidays, but I will certainly look at it.

I don't think people will have real trouble with the C-style. (and zeoslib can be used with C as well) So as long as the easiest way of working for the moment is Doxygen it will be Doxygen. Both systems can use use the same documentation style, so swapping again will not be that difficult.

Some personal feeling about DelphiCodeToDocs : the result doesn't really look nice... There are also some functionality limitations compared to Doxygen. (Eg. source code referencing, diagrams (??), ...)

Finally : if somebody wants to go deeper on the DelphiCodeToDoc subject, please start a new thread in the Documentations forum.