Forum related to version 6.5.1 (alpha) and 6.6.x (beta) of ZeosLib's DBOs

Moderators: gto, cipto_kh, EgonHugeist

ste_ba
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

Connecting to MS SQL Server 2005 with 6.6.1 beta

Post by ste_ba »

Hi,

after installing Zeos 6.6.1 with Delphi7 and WinXP, I tried in vain to connect at design time to a local MS SQL Server 2005.

Before that, I had successfully connected to the same MS server using Zeos 6.5.1, "ado" protocol and a connection string in the "database" property naming the Provider and ODBC data source. So far, so good. Now I wanted it the direct way :-) After selecting "mssql" protocol and deleting the connection string from the database property in favor of a mere database name ("master"), I got the error that ntwdblib.dll was missing (it's nowhere in the Zeos distribution, is it?). After downloading it from somewhere else, copying it into my app dir, getting the same error still, then copying it into Windows\System32, Zeos seemed to find it.

However, that doesn't mean I am connected. The current error message is

---------------------------
Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist. Unable to connect: SQL Server does not exist or network access denied. ConnectionOpen (Connect()).
---------------------------

Obviously, Zeos is missing something to detect the running Server service. But what?

Regards,
ste_ba
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

Hi ste_ba : I'm missing the hostname in your description. Is that property filled? As far as I can see it's necessary to find the server over the network. As far as I can see it's not defaulted to localhost for mssql, but I must admit, I never actually used mssql myself.

Mark

BTW : the dll is proprieritary, so we can't distribute it.
ste_ba
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

Post by ste_ba »

Hi Mark,

thanks for your answer. Concerning the dll, I had guessed something like that ...

Sorry about the forgotten hostname. It's "localhost", however if I insert my computer name (with or without the name of the Service, which is MSSQLEXPRESS in my installation), it won't work either.

ste_ba
ste_ba
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

Post by ste_ba »

Mea culpa. I separated the computer name from the Service name with a slash, but as one might expect, Windows insists on a backslash. Hostname is now "MY_PC_NAME\MSSQLEXPRESS", and Bingo! it works.

ste_ba