Forum related to version 6.5.1 (alpha) and 6.6.x (beta) of ZeosLib's DBOs

Moderators: gto, cipto_kh, EgonHugeist

chrish
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

any news re: alpha --> full release

Post by chrish »

Hi guys,

I am currently using 6.1.5 (flagged as stable release) and it is pretty solid.
I see that the 6.5.1 has been flagged as 'alpha' for quite some time now, so I was just wondering if there is an ETA regarding when it would be considered as the latest 'stable' release.

I generally prefer not to work with alphas, although this is just a personal preference. I'm sure there's nothing really wrong with the current alpha version!

I was just curious :o)

Thanks in advance for your help!
Michael
ZeosLib's Handyman :o)

Post by Michael »

Hi chrish,

I want to be honest. We currently have no ETA or something like that for the next stable release. But we plan frequently CVS-Version-Builds that may be downloaded ...

We had extreme problems coordinating our work in the last months. Two of our most powerful developer left the project and so we had to re-coordinate the project structure. At the moment there are two "active" developers, here: Stevie and me. We joined the project at the end of the last year and so we had to learn a lot. I'm concentrated in Document- and QA-work and Stevie is mostly fixing bugs, at the moment. Both of us try to support the users as good as we can.

You see: We don't want to let ZEOS die. We try to bring everything forward in our spare time (after work - not even that much time left if you have a family ;-) and a job). This is the reason why everything is quite slow at the moment.

So to all: Please be patient. We are going to give our best in order to deliver good work.
:prog2: Use the source, dude!

[align=right]..::.. ZeosLib on SourceForge ..::..[/align]
pfaf
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Do you know why the two main programmers left the project?

Post by pfaf »

Hello to all,

I am building applications using ZeosLib (ZeosDBO and ZeosCtrl) using the old v5.x version of the library.

Does anybody know why the two main programmers (Sergey Seroukhov and Sergey Merkuriev) left the project?
:cry:

Kind regards,

Panayiotis Fafakos.
Michael

Re: Do you know why the two main programmers left the projec

Post by Michael »

Hi pfaf,
pfaf wrote:Does anybody know why the two main programmers (Sergey Seroukhov and Sergey Merkuriev) left the project?
The only thing they told us was that their job-situation would force them to leave the project :( . That's really all we know.

... and now ... don't be angry, but ...

:ontopic:

chrish
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

re: no eta...

Post by chrish »

Thanks for the update Michael,

I had no idea the two main developers had left! Must have missed that bulletin, sorry.

You guys certainly have your work cut out for you!

I hope the Delphi community will rally round and support you guys as much as possible, you really are doing an outstanding job.

Here's hoping this project has a continued long success!

Thanks for all your dedication to providing quality solutions.
Never insult a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes...
that way, you're a mile away and you have his shoes!
plamendp
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

6.5.1 alpha, however stable enough

Post by plamendp »

Hi,

Here is: D7, Postgresql 7.4.x, Zeoslib 6.5.1

I use "6.5.1-alpha" since it was released, in a real, real, production environment. No problems at all, at least problems one would expect from "alpha"s. I'd say that current "alpha" is rather "gamma" by means of stability and usability. Always use CVS.

Btw, even though I am very busy (like all of you guys) I think I can be of help. However, I never contributed (seriously) in such projects, so.. Where can I check the current TODOs, feature requests, bugs, etc? YES, I know the SourceForge - is everything on SF up to date? I am asking because all we know the recent ZeosLib problems with the site, forum, hackers, etc...

I realy like the Zeoslib. It is always my first choice when I start some Delphi+Database project... and always my last and final choice :-)

regards
plamen
wserg
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Do you know why the two main programmers left the projec

Post by wserg »

Hi Michael,
Michael wrote:Hi pfaf,
pfaf wrote:Does anybody know why the two main programmers (Sergey Seroukhov and Sergey Merkuriev) left the project?
The only thing they told us was that their job-situation would force them to leave the project :( . That's really all we know.
Do you have any information about they plan of ZEOS deveopment?
Best regards,
wserg
Michael

Post by Michael »

Hi wsreg,

ZeosLib development is continuing :!: Please refer the news in our portal. As written above, we are currently fixing bugs, registered at SourceForge and implement some minor enhancements plus fitting the "old" release management to our "new" needs.

Regards

wserg
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by wserg »

Hi Michael,
Michael wrote:Hi wsreg,

ZeosLib development is continuing :!: Please refer the news in our portal. As written above, we are currently fixing bugs, registered at SourceForge and implement some minor enhancements plus fitting the "old" release management to our "new" needs.

Regards
It seems I made mistake. I know that ZeosLib development is continuing. I tried to ask about following: when Sergey stopped his activity and leaved project, informed he somebody about next planned steps in development since 6.5.1 doesn't contain all declared features.

Sorry for broken english.
Best regards,
wserg
Michael

Post by Michael »

Hi wsreg,

nobody told us which tasks are still to do. We had to plan those tasks by ourselves, from scratch.

Could you, please tell me the declared features for 6.5.1 that are not implemented, yet?

Regards.

barko
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by barko »

Here is my contribution to the zeosdbo. Latest CVS checkout from today (07.09.05). You can download without any limitations. Is this OK, Michael?

http://www.opinfos.com/tempo/zeos
aperger
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by aperger »

Hello All,

I am a programmer from Hungary and I prefer to use ZeOS Library in my development. I develop my applications to use more then one DB type. This is the reason why I use ZeOS.

I have Delphi 7 Prof, Kylix 3 Prof and Delphi 2005 Prof. I am planning to use ZeOS components in the future too.

I have released project which use ZeOS 6.1.5 in production (FireBird 1.5.x). I have a finished project with ZeoS 6.5.1-alpha: stable (FireBird 1.0.3, 1.5.x, PostgreSQL 8.0.x, MS SQL with ADO). Next moth it will be in production (MS SQL with ADO), too. There are stable.

Version 6.1.5 and 6.5.1-alpha:
I use ProgreSQL (nativ) and MS SQL server (with ADO) connection. But when I try to use MySQL 4.x (nativ) It causes problems for me: I can see the modifications on the fields if I restart the DB server. I can not undertsand this. The code is the same I modify only the DB type (same stucture).

Version 6.5.1 from CVS:
I am planning to continue developing under Kylix 3 Prof/Delphi 7 Prof (CLX) and Delphi 2005 Prof (VCL). I have problems only with the BLOB field handling (PostgreSQL, MS SQL with ADO) in the CVS version. I can not read and write the content with the same code as before I did.

Perger Attila

PS.: If I can help to the project with bug reports and test, or developing - I never did it before... - tell me, please!
fduenas
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

Post by fduenas »

I think some things to do and to solve are this in oder importance, in my opinion off course:

- ADO memory leaks
- Blob problems
- RefreshRow method: to update the client side current record with a refresh one from the server

- A better way to get the RecordCount value without retrieving all record into the client. most of the driver has a 'NumRows' api function to get the number of rows in the query.

- Performance, use FastMove instead of System.move and other improved string routines ussig assembler language. check the fastcode project. This solutions are already done and tested by Borland.
Check this Link: http://dennishomepage.gugs-cats.dk/FastCodeProject.htm

- Multithreading. Thread locking using Critical sections or Mutex

- Implement CalcDefaults to TZUpdateSQL so the Resultset (client-side) can be updated when a new record is posted, this includes AutoInc field in mysql, maybe an DoAfterPostUpdates can be implemented to retreive this kind of server-side generated values.

- Default values for fields, reterieving the metadata and assign to DefaultValue field property. This value will be used whe inserting a new record in the TZQuery ot TZTable.

-Support for new database versions: MySQL 5.0, FireBird 2.x, Postgresql8.x
snorkel
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by snorkel »

Postgresql really needs Raise Notice support as well, currenty if you use raise notice for debugging a function or any other reason, you never see them when a query is executed with Zeos.

Tony
fduenas wrote:I think some things to do and to solve are this in oder importance, in my opinion off course:

- ADO memory leaks
- Blob problems
- RefreshRow method: to update the client side current record with a refresh one from the server

- A better way to get the RecordCount value without retrieving all record into the client. most of the driver has a 'NumRows' api function to get the number of rows in the query.

- Performance, use FastMove instead of System.move and other improved string routines ussig assembler language. check the fastcode project. This solutions are already done and tested by Borland.
Check this Link: http://dennishomepage.gugs-cats.dk/FastCodeProject.htm

- Multithreading. Thread locking using Critical sections or Mutex

- Implement CalcDefaults to TZUpdateSQL so the Resultset (client-side) can be updated when a new record is posted, this includes AutoInc field in mysql, maybe an DoAfterPostUpdates can be implemented to retreive this kind of server-side generated values.

- Default values for fields, reterieving the metadata and assign to DefaultValue field property. This value will be used whe inserting a new record in the TZQuery ot TZTable.

-Support for new database versions: MySQL 5.0, FireBird 2.x, Postgresql8.x
Antz
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

BIG thank you

Post by Antz »

Thanks for the work done already, I only downloaded 6.6.0 (Beta) yesterday and will start working on it very soon (also after work) and if I do find anything weird or can do something wonderful then I will surely post it here.

Again, thanks for all that you guys have done, it is more appreciate than you realise.