Forum related to version 6.5.1 (alpha) and 6.6.x (beta) of ZeosLib's DBOs

Moderators: gto, cipto_kh, EgonHugeist

ac
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

copy from MsSQL to MySQL database

Post by ac »

Hi there,

Nice forum ;) ! I'm in trouble and perhaps you can help me.

I'm using Zeos 6.51 with Lazarus 0.9.21 on a Win2k machine.

I want to copy a table from a MsSQL-database to a MySQL-Database.

Do I need two TZConnection ans TZQuery for this? How can I build some kind of "bridge" between the MsSQL and the MySQL connection?

Can I store the contents of a table-cell in a variable (what data-type?)

greetings, ac
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

Do you want to do this once or on a regular basis? How much records?

One shot : export to a text file. Import into mysql with the mysqlimport tool.

Using Zeos : 2 connections, 2 queries .
Loop on the read query. For each record move all field values to a new record and post.

Maybe you can send a private message to zippo. I think I remember he did something similar.

Mark
ac
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by ac »

thanks

yes, on a regular basis with a few tables. some of them are really huge.

how can I write the content of a table cell into a record (or something else if possible)? I found no option to get the content from a cell in a DBGrid.
zippo
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by zippo »

I would try to do it by 4 methods

1. Via MySQL GUI tool for data migration - I tried it once and it worked quite well (few, nonrelevant errors). Definitely worth a try.

2. Via SQL export. I'm not an MSSQL expert, but if there's a SQL export option, use it. And if (well, chances are quite low here) that there's a "Export standard SQL" option, use it too. Next is harder use, because is a try-fix-and-retry method: Execte the SQL, where stops fix it... Can take ages..

3. Via Delphi app: Two databases (MSSQL and MySQL), two tables. I usually use KBM MemTable for an intermediate, because it can copy from and into an open dataset. But I never used it for cross-DB copying.

4. I can give you some delphi code that I used to copy a database, but I'm not sure i works.
ac
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by ac »

thanks zippo,

your hint with the MemTable was very good
zippo
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by zippo »

Anytime.. Hope it will work OK (never tried between different database types).
ac
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by ac »

yes it works, but not perfekt yet...

I'm sending DBMemo.text as value with SQL INSERT INTO command. unfortunately DBMemo.text is a string.

what if I need to send an integer or a date? somebody knows how to send the record that is written in MsSQL-table.
zippo
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by zippo »

Sorry, don't understand... SQL as itself is a string that descripts the values to be inserted. Example, please.
ac
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by ac »

sorry, that I didn't answer but I was busy with other things. I found a solution for my problem in the meantime, but thanks for your efort !

but I have another question.

when I try to send a SQL SELECT command (e.g. SELECT testfield FROM testtable WHERE id=1;) to the MsSQL server I got an error if the data type of the field is ntext.

the error:

Code: Select all

Unicode data in a Unicode-only collation or ntext data cannot be sent to clients using DB-Library (such as ISQL) or ODBC version 3.7 or earlier
I changed the datatype in the MsSQL table from ntext to text and it works pretty fine. unfortunately this isn't a solution because it need to be ntext.
zippo
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by zippo »

Try to access it via ODBC (latest of course) and "regular" datasets (like old,slow, ugly BDE) :)
ac
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by ac »

hmm.... what do you mean by "regular" dataset?

I tried to execute my programm on another machine. it crashs when I try to establish the connection to the MsSQL-server, MySQL works.

there is no error message, programm stops working and I got only the possibility to kill it with task manager.

I copied libmysql50.dll and ntwdblib.dll to the programm folder. is there any other file that is required to set up the MsSQL connection?

thanks for your help so far !!!!!!!
zippo
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by zippo »

regular = TTable + BDE + ODBC As said: Ugly, slow, but usually worx for one-tme projects .. :)