Forum related to MS SQL Server

Moderators: gto, cipto_kh, EgonHugeist

guyvdb
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

sqlserver 2005

Post by guyvdb »

Hi,

Anyone who uses delphi 7/sql server 2005/ado/latest version zeoslib?
Till now, we use delphi 7/sql server 2000/dblib/zeoslib 6.5.1 (nov 2004).

Because you can't buy sql server 2000 any longer, we gonna upgrade to sql server 2005. This version doesn't support dblib, so we gonna use ado.

Greetz,

Guy
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

Does that mean dblib is outdated? Is 2005 the first version not supporting dblib or did microsoft decide earlier not to provide it anymore?

For mysql we're planning to stop support for versions < 4.1 after ZEOS 6.5.1. for further development of 6.5.1 we will not spend too much effort fixing problems with this old versions either.
Maybe we should give dblib the same status?

Mark
guyvdb
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by guyvdb »

Don't misunderstand me.
ms sql server 2000 is still widely used in combination with dblib, because this was the standard protocol in the previous versions. And there are still patches for this version. Please don't stop support for dblib.
Nevertheless, the latest versions of zeoslib don't work anymore with dblib, so
support is already stopped. (That's the reason we still use 6.5.1 (nov. 2004).

But the latest version (2005) don't support dblib anymore, so it is wise to go on with ADO (new standard protocol sql server).
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

Guy,

Don't misunderstand me either. I'm not talking about dropping dblib from zeoslib 6.5.1. I only wanted to know if 2000 isn't OLD. If you say still a lot of people use sqlserver2000 with dblib that's OK for us. We don't have the intention to drop support for databases we know to be widely used. From the other side, keeping the old stuff in makes working more complex without a valid reason. That's why we don't compile them in automatically anymore.

I don't know and use sqlserver, so I can't fix the problem. I don't even understand what dblib is (combination of dll with stored procs on the server?). To get your problem fixed (select *, wasn't it?) somebody using dblib should try to debug the internals of zeoslib/dblib to see what's wrong. Could you try to do this? I think it's somewhere in the dbcmetadata units. Maybe it's a metadata retrieving query that doesn't behave as expected orismalformed.
If you find the fix, I guarantee you it will be added to the code, provided it looks reasonable (not to dirty, obscure, ...).

Mark
fduenas
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

Post by fduenas »

guyvdb wrote:Don't misunderstand me.
ms sql server 2000 is still widely used in combination with dblib, because this was the standard protocol in the previous versions. And there are still patches for this version. Please don't stop support for dblib.
Nevertheless, the latest versions of zeoslib don't work anymore with dblib, so
support is already stopped. (That's the reason we still use 6.5.1 (nov. 2004).

But the latest version (2005) don't support dblib anymore, so it is wise to go on with ADO (new standard protocol sql server).
Weell i have tested recently zeoslib 6.6 version with mssqlserver protocols and seems to work ok.

What problems do you have?

Obviously it should be wir se to use ADO protocol so you can be sure you will always use latest drivers.
Gerard
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Microsoft view regarding using dblib

Post by Gerard »

Although this isn't an answer to your problem it is related to using dblib. This is a quote from the microsoft forum:
Although the SQL Server 2005 Database Engine still supports connections from existing applications using the DB-Library and Embedded SQL APIs, it does not include the files or documentation needed to do programming work on applications that use these APIs. A future version of the SQL Server Database Engine will drop support for connections from DB-Library or Embedded SQL applications. Do not use DB-Library or Embedded SQL to develop new applications. Remove any dependencies on either DB-Library or Embedded SQL when modifying existing applications. Instead of these APIs, use the SQLClient namespace or an API such as OLE DB or ODBC. SQL Server 2005 does not include the DB-Library DLL required to run these applications. To run DB-Library or Embedded SQL applications you must have available the DB-Library DLL from SQL Server version 6.5, SQL Server 7.0, or SQL Server 2000.
The link to the entry in the microsoft forum is:
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPo ... 9&SiteID=1