Multithreading woes

The offical for ZeosLib 7.3 Report problems, ask for help, post proposals for the new version of Zeoslib 7.3/v8
Quick Info:
-We made two new drivers: odbc(raw and unicode version) and oledb
-GUID domain/field-defined support for FB
-extended error infos of Firebird
-performance ups are still in queue
In future some more feature will arrive, so stay tuned and don't hassitate to help
Marian Aldenhövel
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Multithreading woes

Post by Marian Aldenhövel »

Hi,

I am using Zeos 8.0 from Delphi 10.3 in an ETL-Type application where I fetch data from a REST-API and pump it into an Oracle DB. I have set things up so that various REST endpoints can be serviced from separate threads.

Unfortunately this fails by throwing an EExternalException. The oracle client also barfs the string KPEDBG_HDL_POP_FCPTR to stdout. So I believe the error is triggered in 3dparty code by Oracle.

My TZConnection all Zeos-Components are on DataModules. These are instantiated in the context of the main thread during setup but I am positive that I am creating a separate instance of the datamodule for each thread spawned later. When instantiating the datamodules I specify an Owner of NIL.

I have also tried creating the datamodules from within the worker threads themselves. But that results in the same error.

I do not have a simple testcase and am aware that this may be caused by a lot of dumb things I did wrong.

But maybe there is a something specific I need to tell the Oracle client that I want to use it in a multithreaded application?

Regards, Marian
MJFShark
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re: Multithreading woes

Post by MJFShark »

Hi Marian.

Try adding the following connection property to see if it helps your case:

MyConn.Properties.Values[ConnProps_OCIMultiThreaded] := 'True';

This puts the Oracle Client into multithreading mode.

-Mark
aehimself
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

Post by aehimself »

MJFShark wrote: 10.07.2024, 11:33MyConn.Properties.Values[ConnProps_OCIMultiThreaded] := 'True';
You beat me to it :) Me too, about 95% sure this will solve OP's issue.
Delphi 12.1, Zeos 8 from latest GIT snapshot
Using:
- MySQL server 8.0.18; libmariadb.dll 3.3.8
- Oracle server 11.2.0, 12.1.0, 19.0.0; oci.dll 21.13
- MSSQL 2012, 2019; sybdb.dll FreeTDS_2435
- SQLite 3.45.2
Marian Aldenhövel
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Marian Aldenhövel »

Yes, that did the trick.

To be precise I set the connection property at design time using the visual editor, but the result obviously is the same.

I would like to apologize for my weak googling, especially as I had a hunch it might be something like this.

Thank you very much!

Regards, Marian
aehimself
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

Post by aehimself »

However the patch is almost 2 years old it doesn't get much visibility because of two reasons:
- It does not affect single-threaded applications
- Even multithreaded ones can run stable-ish without it with specific driver versions

Plus, for months I simply considered these errors as normal operation for the crap Oracle calls driver :)
Delphi 12.1, Zeos 8 from latest GIT snapshot
Using:
- MySQL server 8.0.18; libmariadb.dll 3.3.8
- Oracle server 11.2.0, 12.1.0, 19.0.0; oci.dll 21.13
- MSSQL 2012, 2019; sybdb.dll FreeTDS_2435
- SQLite 3.45.2