MS Excel access with ZeosLib latest

Forum related to version 6.5.1 (alpha) and 6.6.x (beta) of ZeosLib's DBOs

Moderators: gto, cipto_kh, EgonHugeist

C_R22
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

MS Excel access with ZeosLib latest

Post by C_R22 »

I have put the following components on my form and set various properties as this:

TZReadOnlyQuery:
Connection: ZConnection1
Datasource: DataSource1
SQL: SELECT * FROM [Sheet1$];

DataSource: All default properties

TZConnection:
Database: Provider=MSDASQL.1;Persist Security Info=False;Mode=ReadWrite;Extended Properties="DSN=Excel Files;DBQ=C:\DataBook.xls;DefaultDir=C:;DriverId=790;MaxBufferSize=2048;PageTimeout=5;"
Protocol: ado

DBGrid:
DataSource: DataSource1

Now when I click the TZReadOnlyQuery's Active property to True, it seems to execute the SQL fine - the TZConnection becomes connected, but nothing appears in the DBGrid, even though the correct file: c:\DataBook.xls exists, and has data in Sheet1.

It is connecting fine to the sheet, because I've tried at run time doing: .GetTableNames('', MyStrList); - then adding this to a Memo, and it's returning all the names of the Excel sheets in the file.

Basically, I'm just wondering how to connect and manipulate a Excel file. What am I doing wrong to run SQL queries on it? (I know you can run SQL queries on an Excel sheet with ADO).

Thanks.
Terence
Zeos Dev Team
Zeos Dev Team

Post by Terence »

Did you run "ReadOnlyQuery.Execute" or "ReadOnlyQuery.Open"?
You should have done "Open."
fabian
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

Fabian,
C_R22 is just setting the components 'active' property to true. So that question is a little 'misplaced'.

C_R22,
Did you try this query from an other language before? (VB, VBA, ...) I'm not an ADO expert, but isn't there something like defining a dataset/database/range/??? in Excel? I can't imagine ADO can decide automa(t)(g)icaly what are the column names . Certainly not for a * select.
But I can be totally wrong, of course.

Mark