Forum related to version 6.5.1 (alpha) and 6.6.x (beta) of ZeosLib's DBOs

Moderators: gto, cipto_kh, EgonHugeist

zippo
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Are there any news regarding Zeos?

Post by zippo »

Hello Zeos developers!

I'm watching the development of Zeos since version 5.x and can say that I'm very pleased with the components. Especially since 6.x and the protocol property I'm very excited to see any new version. But this is the problem - since 6.5 alpha - nothing. And it's been a while since in the CVS you (developers) posted a new version..

Yes, I know that Zeos is free-time work, and (maybe) you have own jobs, families,... etc. But as you can see, the forum is "growing up" nicely, with a lot of developers that would also like to contribute, bugreport, create patches,.. etc.

Please don't let us wait too long - tell us about the future of Zeos. Even if it is dark, doesn't matter - we want to know. :(

BTW: Since now you've done a nice job, so thank you for Zeos components (must say something positve, he he he ... :lol: )

Kind regards,
Zippo
Michael
ZeosLib's Handyman :o)

Post by Michael »

Hi zippo,

first of all: thanks for sticking to us for such a long time. As you might know the main developers (and the founders) of ZeosLib are no longer in the devteam. They did the main work in the past. It was nearly a full time job for them. The developers who are still in the project do their work in their rare spare time (as I do ;-)) and so our performance is not what anybody whishes.

Fact is that there is not enough manpower to grant a "regular" development but some new members joined a couple of days ago. They are willing to invest a lot of their time to bring Zeos forward. Beside this I have planned to make little changes in our team structure and start a recruiting campain in the next future to staff ZeosLib with some more active members. My preparations for this campain are not fully finished, yet... I just wanted to mention that there is something going on to bring back ZeosLib as you are used to know it and to keep it alive!

I also want to thank all the active members in our forum for their patches and bug reports and all the suggestions to fix diverse problems. We will consider all this for the future development of our Library. The only thing I want to do is to encurage you all the keep on being this active even if the devteam is that weak at the moment :( ... but may be this might change in the near future ;-)

Kind Regards.

Michael.
:prog2: Use the source, dude!

[align=right]..::.. ZeosLib on SourceForge ..::..[/align]
matsgefvert
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by matsgefvert »

Michael,

Thanks for the information. We love Zeos for its simplicity, mainly - no BDE, no ADO, no ODBC connections, no big bulky framework - and we'd love to see it continue as a successful product.

Personally, I'm not sure what lies ahead for Zeos? I guess improving database connections? As far as I'm concerned it looks pretty feature-complete today as it is. We're not using .NET either, so we don't care about that.

If there's anything we're concerned about, it's performance. I don't know if you saw it but I posted a little patch to you a day or two ago for improving the Locate() call in libmysql.dll, which is of rather poor performance. I'd love to see Zeos getting a reputation for being blazingly fast as well as rock stable.

Regards,
Mats
Coffee clarifies the mind, improves morale, lifts the spirit and motivates and inspires to focused, productive work.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Hi Mats,

thanks you for feedback and also for the patch, you sent me. I will forward it to our "new" devteam in order to look if they may use it in genral (and also integrate it into the source).

We are interested to make Zeos "rock stable", too! This is our first goal and we hope to get it faster, some day. We know there are ways to make it faster (as you also found out).

Regards.
:prog2: Use the source, dude!

[align=right]..::.. ZeosLib on SourceForge ..::..[/align]
snorkel
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by snorkel »

I would love to see Posgresql notification support, currently if you create a table you can't see any of the warnings,notices etc that Postgresql emits, you also can't recieve any raise notice statements if you run a stored function.

This would be a big improvement for Zeos and Postgres support.