Zeos 7 alpha and Delphi 2010

The alpha/beta tester's forum for ZeosLib 7.0.x series

Report problems concerning our Delphi 2009+ version and new Zeoslib 7.0 features here.

This is a forum that will be removed once the 7.X version goes into stable!!

Moderators: gto, EgonHugeist, olehs

Wilco
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Zeos 7 alpha and Delphi 2010

Post by Wilco »

Dear all,

i try to install zeos 7 alpha on Delphi 2010.

I can make compilation of delphi14 zeos component but when i try to install the ZComponentDesign140.bpl, i get one error : can't find the ZDbc140.bpl.

I've checked the build directory, there are the all 6 bpl (Zcore140, Zplain140, ZParseSql140, ZDbc140, ZComponent140, ZComponentDesign140)

Can you please help me with this matter ?

kind regards,
Wilco
marcov
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by marcov »

Move the .bpl's (and those only) to somewhere in the PATH.

Recent Delphi's add some directory to the PATH specifically for this purpose.

For my Delphi XE it is

C:\Users\Public\Documents\RAD Studio\8.0\Bpl
Wilco
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

thank you it works.

Post by Wilco »

Thank you a lot ...

It works.

Wilco
MaleManGuy
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by MaleManGuy »

I'd love to get on board with 7.0.0.
Would it be safe to use in my commercial app yet? It is still alpha... I have not seen much activity here... how confident can I be to use it in place of 6.6.6?
Marius2
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Marius2 »

If you compare the two versions you'll see not much has changed (except for the needed unicode changes). I have been testing recently with firebird and that seems quite reliable, i haven't tested mssql yet and oracle is a total failure at this moment (it truncates string fields).
marcov
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by marcov »

MaleManGuy wrote:I'd love to get on board with 7.0.0.
Would it be safe to use in my commercial app yet? It is still alpha...
Would me naming it zeta make it more safer? Labels are just labels.

Anyway I use it in apps, but the amount of transactions are not that high (several hundreds)
Marius2
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Marius2 »

marcov wrote:Labels are just labels.
No, i definitely dont agree with that. Alpha is by definition a no-go for production releases, a beta is signaling its ready but could contain minor errors..

So are you implying the alpha status could change in a beta status? (would be good for Zeos components in general). Or are there major failures? (like Oracle)
marcov
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by marcov »

Marius2 wrote:
marcov wrote:Labels are just labels.
No, i definitely dont agree with that. Alpha is by definition a no-go for production releases, a beta is signaling its ready but could contain minor errors..
True, but since in most smaller projects such transitions are made without a statistically valid way of proofing if such state is reached, (if only because to get bugreports you must release), the labels transitions are thus fairly
arbitrary.
So are you implying the alpha status could change in a beta status? (would be good for Zeos components in general). Or are there major failures? (like Oracle)
I'm implying that a few users that use the package and give it a thumbs up, wouldn't mean you would not have problems with the featureset you use. Regardless of what labels you want to attach to it.

So either it remains a risk, or one has to wait till it is released and there are several point releases passed. (many people desiring stability won't even use .0 releases)

So in summary, the restructures are over, people are using it. So why not simply try?