Zeos 7 Alpha and Delphi 2009 Support - Official Thread

The alpha/beta tester's forum for ZeosLib 7.0.x series

Report problems concerning our Delphi 2009+ version and new Zeoslib 7.0 features here.

This is a forum that will be removed once the 7.X version goes into stable!!

Moderators: gto, EgonHugeist, olehs

bravecobra
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by bravecobra »

In D2010, I remove the BPL and DCP output paths in each package before compiling. That makes the bpl's and dcp's end up in the default directory, which is known by the IDE by default.
Just make sure you only have one version of the bpl's and dcp's on your system, otherwise you'll get "weird" errors. (well, not that weird, they are perfectly explainable.)

In D2010 I haven't found a good way of keeping the bpl's and dcp's inside the zeoslib directory (like the build directory) and have it behave like expected, thus the above mentioned approach.
Brave Cobra
bravecobra.com
sir.wally.lewis
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by sir.wally.lewis »

How can I become an alpha tester?
I want to test revision 813 ( because of delphi XE )
marcov
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by marcov »

Download the source via SVN. (via zeos.firmos.at) and start testing

A special registration is not necessary.
ibrahim
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by ibrahim »

Hi to you all,

About strings and UTF8 in Delphi 2009 I noticed that if you put three labels on a form and you use this code

Var
S : String
begin
S :='انجليزي';
Label1.Caption := S;
Label2.Caption := AnsiString(S);
Label3.Caption := AnsiString(UTF8String(S));

You will get Label1 and Label 3 showing the string well while Label2 will show '?' letters.
I don't know what other versions of Delphi would produce. May some of you verify this?
guidoaerts
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by guidoaerts »

with winXP, in lazarus and with zeos6.6.5, I get all three labels showing the string.
Guido
marcov
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by marcov »

That's because captions are UTF8 in Lazarus. But they are UTF16 in Delphi/Unicode (Delphi2009+)

Caption is of type String in Delphi/unicode, which is of type TUnicodeString, not Ansistring.

The first is <utf16string>:=<utf16string> so no conversion takes place.

So by typecasting a UTF16 string to ansistring (label2) one converts "S" to the local locale, and then assigns it to an unicode type again: result dataloss.

The third forces a conversion of utf16 string "s" to a utf8 coded ansistring and then assignes this back to a utf16 caption. I'm not entirely sure why the utf8 isn't converted to the local locale here.

In general, in Delphi/Unicode there should be no typecasts or conversions when assigning values to VCL components.
tiho
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

We need the stable release of Zeos7

Post by tiho »

Hello,
The development of version 7 is stopped ??? :?: :?: :?:
if not, when the stable release ?
Version 7 is compatible with Delphi XE ?
Thank you to the ZEOS team. :thanks:
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

The development of version 7 is stopped
Not really, but on the other hand : it didn't really take off either. As untill 2 weeks ago I was the only one maintaining the code, there wasn't even a chance I could get zeoslib 7 out of alpha.
tiho
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by tiho »

mdaems wrote:
The development of version 7 is stopped
Not really, but on the other hand : it didn't really take off either. As untill 2 weeks ago I was the only one maintaining the code, there wasn't even a chance I could get zeoslib 7 out of alpha.
We must launch a recruitment partner for developers, the project ZEOS must not die.
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

thanks for the offer, tiho,
Please become a developer. That's the best recruitment action you can do.
And it's easy!! Just have a look at the forum and the bugtracker and decide which problem you want to tackle first.

When you have your first patches, just publish them here or send them to zeoslib at gmail dot com. After a few good patches we can arrange SVN access for you as well.

Mark
mmvisual
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by mmvisual »

I can help test the V7.0.

I have write a application who use o lot functions. It use SQLite, MySQL and PostgreSQL and can use Firebird.
Lazarus for Win and Linux.
With joins and other difficuls querys, Multiselect and Pictures.

You can see this program on www.mmvisual.de >> EleLa
It's freeware.
alan008
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by alan008 »

I maintain quite a large project, written in Delphi 7 with Zeos 6.X.X. I'm thinking of porting this project to Delphi XE, because I have all other components, which I use, ready for unicode strings. All my new projects are written in Delphi XE and I find it the best and most stable Delphi IDE since Delphi 7. Should I find some other DB-access components as a replacement for ZEOS in such situation? Please, answer just this question, is ZEOS-project still IMPORTANT for anybody (developers? users?) If NO, just have a courage to admit this, we're moving to well-supported, actively developing components. If it still IS, will EVER stable version of ZEOS for Delphi 2009-XE be available?

PS
Our DB Server is Postgres. I don't need support for anything else at the moment.
seawolf
Zeos Dev Team *
Zeos Dev Team *

Post by seawolf »

As you can read there lots of developers/users which are currently using Zeos libs. We are currently in the process of restructure the dev team in order to restart the development. Anyway, at the moment, we can't say when a 7.x stable version will be ready but this is the main focus.
alan008
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by alan008 »

seawolf, big thanks for the info! IMHO, I think that ZEOS is mostly essential for the projects, which use different SQL Servers at the same time. I use just one (Postgres), so for me migration to other db-access components is not so painful. But for other developers, depending on ZEOS, it is a decision point. Without confidence in what is happening to ZEOS project, they could not rely serious projects on this components and have to think of a smooth migration.
MaleManGuy
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by MaleManGuy »

alan008 wrote:seawolf, big thanks for the info! IMHO, I think that ZEOS is mostly essential for the projects, which use different SQL Servers at the same time. I use just one (Postgres), so for me migration to other db-access components is not so painful. But for other developers, depending on ZEOS, it is a decision point. Without confidence in what is happening to ZEOS project, they could not rely serious projects on this components and have to think of a smooth migration.
I agree. I use mysql and want to migrate an existing large project to D2010 from D2007 without having to worry about my customers. 6.6.6 works great but I gotta keep up with O/S, Delphi, and MySQL releases too... I'd even pay for zeos since the alternative would mean more work for me to switch.
:-)
Jeff