TZIBEventAlerter error spam

The official tester's forum for ZeosLib 7.1. Ask for help, post proposals or solutions.
duzenko
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

TZIBEventAlerter error spam

Post by duzenko »

I have a TZIBEventAlerter connected to a TZConnection
It's possible that the program loses connection to the firebird server (i.e. the server stops). If that happens, TZIBEventAlerter destructor pops up an error box with some incomprehensible information. This makes users nervous, and my manager thinks it's a bug in my code.
How do I make the error box not pop up?
marsupilami
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: TZIBEventAlerter error spam

Post by marsupilami »

Hello,
duzenko wrote:How do I make the error box not pop up?
Fix the problem and submit the fix to the bugtracker? Why don't you relay the "incomprehensible information" here? Zeos 7.2 is not designed to work correctly if you loose the connection to the database. The only useful thing you can do when loosing the connection to the database is to terminate the whole program. Writing your own exception handler for TApplication might help in achieving this. I did something like that using MadExcept.

You might want to check if that still happens with Zeos 7.3. Egonhugeist has introduced infrastructure in Zeos 7.3 to gracefully bring down everything if the connection to the database is lost.

Best regards,

Jan
duzenko
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Re: TZIBEventAlerter error spam

Post by duzenko »

The exception is actually being handled but then explicitly sent to the default handler for unconditional popup.
I don't have a problem with fixing that myself in 7.1 but 7.2 is totally broken me for the other reason.