In this forum we will discuss things relating the ZEOSLib 6.6.x stable versions

Moderators: gto, EgonHugeist

danielf
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Begin and commit not working with postgresql

Post by danielf »

Hi,
iam using ZSQLMonitor, when i execute the methods, StartTransaction, commit or rollback none of this commands are being sent to the database

begin;
commit;
rollback;

Anyone can help?

Thx in advanced
Wild_Pointer
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by Wild_Pointer »

Hello, danielf

would you provide more information on TZConnection component you are using:
- what is the value for AutoCommit
- what is TransactIsolationLevel
- what DB system are you connected to?
danielf
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by danielf »

Sorry for the missing information,

AutoCommit = true
TransactIsolationLevel = ReadCommit
database is PostgresSQL

Thx Wild_Pointer for ur reply
Wild_Pointer
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by Wild_Pointer »

Hello,

To test I used simple code:

ZConnection1.Database := 'sport3_test';
ZConnection1.Connect;

ZConnection1.StartTransaction;
qZ.Open;
ZConnection1.Commit;

In Monitor file I got:
2009-12-18 15:21:15 cat: Connect, proto: postgresql-8, msg: CONNECT TO "sport3_test" AS USER "postgres"
2009-12-18 15:21:15 cat: Execute, proto: postgresql-8, msg: BEGIN
2009-12-18 15:21:15 cat: Execute, proto: postgresql-8, msg: SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL READ COMMITTED
2009-12-18 15:21:17 cat: Execute, proto: postgresql-8, msg: select * from apribojimai

2009-12-18 15:21:17 cat: Execute, proto: postgresql-8, msg: SELECT version()
2009-12-18 15:21:17 cat: Execute, proto: postgresql-8, msg: SELECT n.nspname,c.relname,a.attname,a.atttypid,a.attnotnull,a.atttypmod,a.attlen,a.attnum,pg_get_expr(def.adbin, def.adrelid) as adsrc,dsc.description FROM pg_catalog.pg_namespace n JOIN pg_catalog.pg_class c ON (c.relnamespace = n.oid) JOIN pg_catalog.pg_attribute a ON (a.attrelid=c.oid) LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_attrdef def ON (a.attrelid=def.adrelid AND a.attnum = def.adnum) LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_description dsc ON (c.oid=dsc.objoid AND a.attnum = dsc.objsubid) LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_class dc ON (dc.oid=dsc.classoid AND dc.relname='pg_class') LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_namespace dn ON (dc.relnamespace=dn.oid AND dn.nspname='pg_catalog') WHERE a.attnum > 0 AND NOT a.attisdropped AND c.relname LIKE E'apribojimai' AND a.attname LIKE E'%' ORDER BY nspname,relname,attnum
2009-12-18 15:21:17 cat: Execute, proto: postgresql-8, msg: SELECT oid, typname, typbasetype FROM pg_type WHERE oid<10000 OR typbasetype<>0 ORDER BY oid
2009-12-18 15:21:17 cat: Execute, proto: postgresql-8, msg: COMMIT
2009-12-18 15:21:17 cat: Execute, proto: postgresql-8, msg: BEGIN
2009-12-18 15:21:17 cat: Execute, proto: postgresql-8, msg: SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL READ COMMITTED

So as you see - Begin and Commit commands are used. What version of zeos lib do you use?

I would advice not to use autoCommit, because it should be understood as autoTransBegin. It starts the transaction automatically and there is no use of ZConnection1.StartTransaction - id actually does nothing, just fire event OnStartTransaction. This is the wors part of using zeos (IMHO). You should take dealing with transactions into your own hands.
danielf
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by danielf »

Unfortunately i have uninstall 6.6.5 components and installed the old ones, i know i had tried both ways autocommit true and false, because i dont want zeos to automatically start any transaction.

In automatic mode, (i really cant remember if it was this property but i believe so) it worked until some point i had a Memo printing down the logs and when i used a zeos component to insert or update records by the use of insert() and edit() it started and committed the transactions without a problem.
when i tried to execute my own SQL code no COMMIT command appeared.

Anyways my described is when using the manual way to begin transactions.

I do recall i had some errors when installing the zeos 6.6.5 components on my c++builder6 but then again i get erros installing my current zeos components 6.5.1 so i didnt pay much attention to it.

If there is someone using zeos 6.6.5 components on c++builder with postgresql that works with none of this problems that i described, i can only assume that iam doing something wrong with the installation, so plz give the head's up.

Thx
Wild_Pointer
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by Wild_Pointer »

Hello, danielf.

As you describe it, the thing you should double check is TransactIsolationLevel. Maybe your program changes it dynamically?.. If TransactIsolationLevel = tiNone the Begin and Commit commands are not used.
If thats not the case - than this may be connected to CBuilder. I have almost no experience with it, so maybe other members of Zeos community will help you.

Good luck.