In this forum we will discuss things relating the ZEOSLib 6.6.x stable versions

Moderators: gto, EgonHugeist

Darkbow
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

BDS2006 installation for Delphi and C++

Post by Darkbow »

Hi all,

I am trying to install Zeos in BDS2006 for both the Delphi and the C++ personalities.

Has anyone accomplished to do this? I can easily install the Delphi part, but no luck with the C++ part until now. :(

I have tried following:

- Using the BCB6 packages does not work, because it ends deinstalling the Delphi packages.

- Generating C++ files from the Delphi packages also does not work, since it gives some compilation errors.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance and best regards
Darkbow
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

BDS2006 installation for Delphi and C++

Post by Darkbow »

Ok. I finally got into installing it correctly for both personalities. I'll post here the steps I made so other people can get around it if needed.

NOTE: this may apply or not for BDS2005, RAD2007 and other IDEs. I can not test it since I have none installed.

DISCLAIMER: these steps may not be the most accurate or efficient ones. Please feel free to comment any error or problem you can find and I will update the post. :)

DISCLAIMER 2: these steps imply tampering with the registry at one point. It worked in my system but may not in yours. Do it at your own risk. :wink:

Steps are following:

1- Get rid of any prior Zeos installations. That includes any Zeos .BPL, .DCU and .LIB you can find.

2- Extract Zeos to the directory of your election.

3- Open BDS2006, select the package for Delphi10 and compile all packages.

Reason: this way we will have all .DCUs. For some reason not all of them get created correctly in step 6 (see below).

4- Close BDS2006. It is very important to do this before step 5.

5- Delete the registry keys as indicated in:

http://zachsaw.blogspot.com/2008/10/del ... -in-c.html

These keys are following:

Key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Borland\BDS\5.0\Known Packages\
Entry:
Look for the entry with [path]\MyPackage.bpl and remove it

Key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Borland\BDS\5.0\Package Cache\
Look for the key called MyPackage.bpl and remove the entire sub-key

Key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Borland\BDS\5.0\Palette\Cache\
Look for the key called MyPackage.bpl and remove the entire sub-key

Reason: There is a bug in the BDS that affects packages when compiled. See blog for more info.

6-
Open BDS2006. Open again the package group for Delphi10. For all the packages go to Options->Linker and select "Generate

all C++ Builder Files". Compile them all again.

* If it complains regarding an {$ENDIF;} just delete it.

* If when compiling Component.bpl or ComponentDesign.bpl, the compiler complains about some .DCU it should be solved by adding

the Build directory (where all packages get built into) to the Search path of the package.

7- Install componentDesign.bpl

8- Add the necessary paths to BDS in Tools-Option, both for C++ and Delphi personalities:

* packages\delphi10 // some headers here

* packages\delphi10\build // some .dcu

* src\component

* src\core

* src\dbc

* src\parsesql

* src\plain

Et voilà!!! You've got them installed and working now. :)

NOTE: when compiling in C++ it may give you an error because it can not find some .h. Usually this gets solved by changing the #include to .hpp.

Other URLs to check for info:

http://digonbvba.blogspot.com/2006/07/i ... rtman.html
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

Darkbow,

Anything we could do to make this procedure easier? Patches you propose?
If not, could you post this to the knowledge base as well? ('Compilers' category)

Mark
Darkbow
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Darkbow »

To be honest I am no expert in the BDS IDEs. I have created, installed and deinstalled components before, but not much more.

As I see it there are mainly 3 problems:

1- Not all .DCUs are created when building with "Generate all C++ Builder files", thus making steps 3,4 and 5 necessary. I honestly do not know what makes some .DCUs to be generated and others not.

2- Due to the BDS bug with packages you can not simply generate first the Delphi side and then the C++ side. Anyway, this problem would solve itself if we could get rid of the first one.

3- Putting all the necessary paths is a pita, but BDS (at least in version 2006) does not allow to simply put a directory and ask it to search for subdirectories.

I guess we need some kind of installation script, but I have not done this before in BDS so no idea where to look...

At least I'll put the steps in the Knowledge base. :)
Darkbow
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Darkbow »

Darkbow wrote: At least I'll put the steps in the Knowledge base. :)
Scratch that, forum does not allow me to submit articles... :?:
mdaems
Zeos Project Manager
Zeos Project Manager

Post by mdaems »

Strange... that should be fixed. What's the error message? Or is there no submit link available? What KB did you try to post to?

Mark
Darkbow
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Darkbow »

The one you told me, KB->Compilers.

The error message was something like "You are not allowed to post here".